Who the hell are you?

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

yhs

Postby yhs » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:38 pm

Ah, go on, then. Here's a snap of me about a week after the last Comic Relief. I was going to dye my hair with something temporary, but (oh surprise) everything sold out, so I was left with red hair for about a month. My adoring father decided to capture the image *sigh*. Normally it's brown.
Attachments
redhair.jpg

Ian Harbottle

Postby Ian Harbottle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:46 am

MattB,

Is he proposing to you and did you accept????

mattb

Postby mattb » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:13 pm

:lol:

Nah, I can do better than him, now his daughter i might just.........

Matt

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 pm

I love those sallets with the pointed crown.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Blaz Berlec

Postby Blaz Berlec » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Hello all!

My first post, I know I have nothing to do with the Living History in the UK, but since I'm lurking here for quite some time and reading all the great topic (together with utter nonsense)...

And I might visit you in a not yet defined future. Since Slovenia is just an Easyjet or Ryanair ticket away from London. :P

I'm in reenactment for around 9 years, but unfortunately I have been much more active in Slovene Tolkien Society. And Slovene reenactment scene isn't really big on realism.

Okay, picts.

(That's me, and no, I don't know how to drum. I'm just pretending, that's what reenactment is all about, right?)

Our camp last weekend in Skofja Loka's "Venerina pot". We played a lot of dice and other games, held a tournament in kubb, got drunk in the evening... The usual.

More pictures from that event here, if you're interested what medieval reenactment looks like in Slovenia. Although images are rather concentrated on our camp:

http://www.gil-galad.info/gallery/album20

Pezzer Ritter wenne Knecht!

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:31 am

Well if this works, this is me and my family.
Attachments
Warwick 007.jpg
Warwick Castle last year

Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

pixit

Postby pixit » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:22 pm

hehe wow zac u look quite short compared to the horse .. but then again compared to me ur huge lol

[quote="Zachos"]Don't be Panda old fruit, I'm just intimidated by your Irishness, as I'm a yuppie from london who's never done a day of honest toil.

In other news, here is a photomographic representation of me and the horse I ride most often nowadays, Eddie. He's really nice to ride, and stands about 17 hands, so I'm told (I haven't checked). You will also not that, as is the current trend, when this picture was taken I was smiling.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/ZAChos/Re-enactment/IMG_3771_1.jpg[/img]

Zac[/quote]

come join our strangeness

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Blaz-Slovene re-enactment looks like some of the British re-enactment 12 years ago- some bits are good (I love the big hats!), some are very 'Tolkein'-the pretty girl on the far left of the photo on here, for instance.
Your group would be ok at a show like Tintagel, because that is quite a 'fantasy' show (Mallory Arthur, so anything from Roman to Tudor!).Thanks for sharing, and when you get over here we will challenge your chaps to a game or two of kubb... :D

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Blaz Berlec

Postby Blaz Berlec » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:54 pm

I know it's a bit off topic...

Cat, Slovene re-enactment started only 12 years ago. Although we have hundreds of castles (or ruins of them), our first medieval event happened on June 24. 1995. Since then medieval groups are on the increase, almost every town with medieval history has now it's medieval show or fair or something... But we're still all beginners, and there's no money in it - we're all "amateurs". But it has improved vastly in last few years, some of us are even being accused of living history. Which we deny, of course.

First Slovene medieval re-enactment, castle Sneznik in 1995.

Even we now have several dozen events, there isn't single event that is narrowed down to some medieval period, they're all "general middle ages", which includes mail clad spangenhelm wearing high middle ages to renaissance pretty dresses of various dance groups and musicians. Luckily nobody does Romans and Vikings. Although you can always see some rune inscribed horns and tankards, and Thor's hammers around.

And funny about that "Tolkein" stuff - gallery you visited is actually a gallery of Slovene Tolkien Society Gil-galad, and many of the re-enactors on pictures are also big Tolkien fans. I guess it shows on their costumes, it's actually the same costume they're going to wear in two week's time on our Big Annual Meeting (BAM). :)

Slovene Tolkien society:
http://www.drustvogil-galad.si/

Did someone mention big hats? Well, mine is certainly biggest!

Pezzer Ritter wenne Knecht!

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:04 pm

That video camera is not authentic at all.

Also, pixit, most people do look short next to eddie. He's not quite as big as max though: 18 hands and broad with it.

Edit: On a serious note, can we stop importing armour from outside the UK and start importing blond re-enactment chicks from slovenia?

pixit

Postby pixit » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:45 pm

yeah but like your really tall lol i have too look up to you when i talk to you =]

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:01 pm

You have to look up to most people.

pixit

Postby pixit » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:13 pm

true, hm im still only 4,9 same height as last time you saw me :(

Maladicta

Hi All.

Postby Maladicta » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi All,
I'm (sort of) new to the site and thought I'd pop in and say hi. Was an avid reader a few years ago but have been under the radar for a while. Thought I’d come back to try and find some old friends in the hope of meeting up with them later this year.

Below is a picture my partner and I attending The Masked Ball held at The Abbey Medieval Fair and Tournament 2007.
Attachments
normal_20070707_Abbey_card_03_135_.jpg
Last edited by Maladicta on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Wow... I love her dress!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:31 pm

me too.

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

the_weaker_vessel

Postby the_weaker_vessel » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:49 pm

Just found this thread. Thought I'd stop and say hello, although I recognise a few names on here [waves hello :wink: ].

I'm Lynn, the photo is Ross, 2 years old and full of energy. After a few years break we're back with the Sealed Knot as WWII was just not family friendly enough. Luckily we keep all the good clothes, shoes etc.

I'm busy making new better quality kit, as museum perfect as I can, I have lots of questions, such as was putting thin buckram in my new bodice sleeves really a good idea.

Hope to find a few more SK bods on a forum to chat to, as the SK beer tent is down at the moment.

All the best

Lynn

Maladicta

Postby Maladicta » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:01 am

Lynn,
Buckram is EVIL :twisted: , run from it! I'm probably just saying this as I made a rather large mistake with it earlier this year in a costume I was making :oops: . But still, I have found that in general it’s a bit of a pain. What sort of sleeves are you making?

Annis & Lidimy,
Thanks so much. I must confess I did not make the majority of it. An amazing seamstress friend of mine had that job. But I did finish most of the hand stitching and do the adornments (Am wondering if I should continue the pearls around the bodice of the over-dress and down each side of the split?). The dress is a 15thC gown modelled mostly on Carpaccio's 'The Meeting of the Betrothed' with the colours chosen having been seen in other paintings from that time period (Orange is not my colour and I already have one reddish dress). I'm glad you like it. :D

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:29 am

Nar, I think you should keep it as it is or it might look too busy, the shape itself is gorgeous enough anyway but that's just my opinion :D

I'm presuming that you are the lady in the pic not the gentleman then! :oops:

Lidi :D

Maladicta

Postby Maladicta » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:54 am

I was wondering why I was being referred to in the third person... :lol:

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:03 pm

Sorry :lol: I couldn't tell from your post which was you! :oops:

Maladicta

Postby Maladicta » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:25 pm

Lidimy,
:D Forgiven. When I can find a picture small enough I shall update my 'avatar', then all shall know me as female :twisted: .

Well, off to bed. Goodnight all :wink: .

the_weaker_vessel

Postby the_weaker_vessel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:36 pm

I only discovered how evel Buckram is when I had to hand sew the sleeve into the bodice. 2 layers of wool, plus 2 layers of buckram plus pleats.

I'm making the 1635 Bodice from the V&A, pattern from Norah Vaugh's book. She specifies that thin material sleeves would have had buckram added, I'm making a wool bodice not a fancy one, but want the shape to look correct.

http://www.marquise.de/en/themes/va/v1630_2.shtml

Shaping really depends on whether you can fill the outfit: I don't :D so need all the padding I can get, I'll post up a photo when Ican.

NN Maladicta hope you slept well.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Maladicta wrote:Lidimy,
:D Forgiven. When I can find a picture small enough I shall update my 'avatar', then all shall know me as female :twisted: .

Well, off to bed. Goodnight all :wink: .

Don't worry - I tend to do this quote often...

anyway, if you want to smallerise a piccy, use this site:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

:D

Maladicta

Postby Maladicta » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:22 am

The_weaker_vessel,
You're a braver person them me. Those sleeves look difficult. But I bet they'll look quite spesh. When they're finished. I did have a nice sleep as well, but unfortunately the dawn came to soon. The US Kitty Hawk arrived yesterday so I shall be miserly on sleep for the next two days and expect to see in the dawn on both. :cry:

Lidimy,
Thanks for the site. I shall go and investigate it now.

Cheers Muchly All,

Oh, does anyone know of any reenactment events/markets that happen after the 27th of November?

Maladicta

Postby Maladicta » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:37 am

Lidimy,
Even after using the smallest reduction the file size is still too large :roll: . I shall just get my friend to do it instead.

Have added an image below of myself in my 14thC dress.
Attachments
normal_20070708_Abbey_card_01_450_.jpg

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:35 am

Awww you look so pretty and so picturesque! :D

Glad the site was of some use :D

Lidi :D

the_weaker_vessel

Postby the_weaker_vessel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:39 pm

I love the dress and the head-dress. What is the dress made of, it's such a lovely rich colour.

'Banastre'

Postby 'Banastre' » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Ok ok, so I'm *still* not wearing female dress. That shall change if I end up joining the Viking group I'm looking into :wink:

I found out several things:
-the chainmail weighed 2 1/2 pounds, felt like more on my shoulders
-the sword and shield weighed less than said chainmail
-going without glasses *does not* suit me
-I can pull a 34' bow (and I'm shooting a 20' atm... can't believe it)

And I bought myself a new archery bracer x3

"I've just written a very warm, bubbly character who has happy plans for her future. You'd like her. But I was writing it, I was thinking - she's gonna die." - Andy B.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 pm

DON"T TOUCH THE SWORD BLADE!!!!!

Also, is that shirt rivetted, because mine is and it weighs about 2 pounds. Hmmm.

Return to “Pictures”