Early medieval frankish noble woman?

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

BraveAnimal

Early medieval frankish noble woman?

Post by BraveAnimal »

Waddoyathink?

I started out thinking it would be a urfentic cotume.. but my theater upbringing just seeped in and made it a little less authentic.

The first dress is linnen with wool embroidery, machine sewn on the non visible seams.
The hood is wool and after Hjernolfnes pattern, I am not sure they were worn by women. I do know there is no archeological evidience of women wearing leather belt..
The overdress or tunic ( I might sell it a s a male tunic haha!) is wool ( blend) and completely handsewn with embellishments also hand sewn.

I will now start a green wool (blend) dress and keep it correct.. (or I will a t least try!) and simple.

I am sorry the photo's are a bit blurry...

Image Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum

Cat
Post Centurion

Post by Cat »

I'm not sure if Dutch kit of the time is similar to English kit, so can't comment on 'thicity either but it does look very good!
http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

Your comment is either way very much appreciated!! In fact I am wearing the brown short 'dress' as a tunic over my jeans as 'normal' clothing and getting loads of compliments on it.. i might never wear it at a reenactment event hahah!

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Early medieval frankish noble woman?

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

BraveAnimal wrote:The hood is wool and after Hjernolfnes pattern, I am not sure they were worn by women.
I don't have any links showing them worn by early medieval Frankish women, but I've seen some similar hoods on women in later medieval contexts -- see http://www.larsdatter.com/hoods.htm#2 for full list of links. This seems to come up especially in the mid-14th century (like illustrations from the Roman de la Rose and the Romance of Alexander).

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

Ah Thanks Karen!
I have decided to wear the frankish part of the costume as 'everyday' clothing to work and such haha! The hood will be fo all medieval puposes and it is good to see some references!
Thank you so much for sharing the knowledge

You people rock!