2nd Jubilee Imperiale

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

wurzul

2nd Jubilee Imperiale

Postby wurzul » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Picture set here,

https://plus.google.com/photos/10095074 ... 9483662993

An expanded set up this year, with the civilians appearing in a fashion show style set-up to illustrate the evolution of clothing over the 1790-1815 period.

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: 2nd Jubilee Imperiale

Postby John Waller » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:25 pm

What were Highlanders doing there?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:01 pm

The purpose was to commemorate the bicentennial of the death of Empress Josephine. There were representatives of the Allied Powers invited. I believe only the British, Prussian and Russians attended in the end. I hope I haven't missed anyone out.

It was a remarkable event owing to the unusually high budget provided by the town of Rueil-Malmaison, who threw themselves wholeheartedly into the celebrations with a really thorough programme of happenings, definitely something for everyone with a huge group of civilian re-enactors as well as a spectacular military parade. I'm told there were 60 mounted men in the parade. The pictures don't quite capture the size of this spectacle.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:11 am

All very pretty. Some of the girls looked good as well :)

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:57 am

I am impressed by the high standard of outfits of the civilians.

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 am

I sometimes wonder about that too. Of course there is a standard imposed, in that to become part of the group you have to be invited. The invitation implies you have demonstrated a certain standard or a willingness to work towards that standard. And guidelines are produced for each event, so you have some idea of what you will be doing, and what the organisers will and will not find appropriate. Usually there is a timeline, but on this occasion the event was a celebration of Josephine's life, so civilian guests were invited to dress in any chosen year between 1800 and 1814, hopefully without mixing and matching years in a single outfit. There was also a white theme for laying the garlands at her statue. I believe this was owing to Josephine's aversion to black mourning.

Some find the elitism in 'invitation only' events not to their taste, but I enjoy being given something to aim for. I don't see how something can be considered disenfranchising when anyone is able to apply to be included. Of course, you will be selected according to your willingness to fulfil someone else's criteria and you may take issue with certain points of historical interpretation, but someone has to set the standard and stand up to be a target and I respect that courage on the part of the organisers.

Return to “Pictures”