visit to a Sainsburys car park

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

visit to a Sainsburys car park

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat May 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Not exactly a great afternoon out for the family but I met up with the talented Fred Ryal to collect some vamplates and get an update on a cuirass refurb/augmentation and these are the results....

Its all jousting stuff.

Firstly some nice vamplates...

Then a venerable old cuirass made by the late Roger Brown out his fresh bits of his own making and the scrap pile of Nigel Clough. Its been subject to tons of abuse and neglect and with some unexpected tournaments coming up I need to get something fast whlist my English, Italian and Flemish harnesses are being made. Its been dissasembles, re worked, tidied up, tears and dents mended and polished to a nice patina I would describe as humble.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 3[2].JPG
photo 3[1].JPG

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: visit to a Sainsburys car park

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat May 10, 2014 6:01 pm

next, the insides. I like the fact that even after only a couple of decades its starting to get a lovely 'original' patina. Fred has added a reenforce to the right breast to take an arret.
Attachments
photo 1[2].JPG
photo 2[1].JPG

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: visit to a Sainsburys car park

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat May 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Lastly.... a haute piece for the breastplate.

On its own the cuirass will not stand up to decent hits from a lance and being a two-piece construction you might get twisting, compression or even a failed rivet so we are adding an additional plate in 2mm steel to form a 2nd skin, making everything a bit stronger and less flexible. That's a perfectly normal period way of dealing with the problem, I've based this one on an example found in a french moat and now in Zurich museum. There are a fair few other additional beefing up plates around. It will be cut around the chalk lines to fit within the rolls of the cuirass plus having a cut-out for the arret and a slight median ridge for extra strength and a bit of aesthetic nicety.

Starting to look nice and will go very well with a nice new jousting bascinet that's on the go. More on that next....

Return to “Pictures”