Caldicot 2010 pictures

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Richard DeCrouern

Caldicot 2010 pictures

Postby Richard DeCrouern » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Pictures of Caldicot can be found at www.gifted-media.co.uk/caldicot

Prints can be ordered by mailing me at innesrich@yahoo.co.uk

All prints are £5.00 for a 10 X 8

Ta Rich

darrelltemplar

Re: Caldicot 2010 pictures

Postby darrelltemplar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:14 pm

really nice pics will there be any of the second day put up?

bad name choice as no longer a templar ah well
for the morlais instead!

Richard DeCrouern

Postby Richard DeCrouern » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks. Sadly not. I was nursing mead ale sickness from the night before and owing to the bone in my leg I didnt manage to get any more snaps.

oakenshield

Postby oakenshield » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 pm

are the groups like the SCA theres seams a lot of odd armour mixes there ?

Flame away!!

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am

oakenshield wrote:are the groups like the SCA theres seams a lot of odd armour mixes there ?

No. All the groups there are re-enactment groups.

The show has groups from a range of periods, mostly 13thC to 15thC, and aims to show a range of history.
Presentations on the evolution of armour, weapons and firearms were included in the day's events.

From a more selfish point of view, the battle allows groups who might not normally fight together to interact and have fun.
Since this part of the show is entirely free to the public, I don't think it's too unreasonable if the re-enactors want to be more focused on fun and entertainment; it's an end of season event and does have a little bit de-mob fever about it.

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:53 pm

:D

"I don't know what you're doing with that bowling ball, girly. But I'm not gonna stand by and let a lady do a man's job."

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Grymm wrote:Eeep! Those shots are ghastley, especially when compared to the Frontier Fortress 2010 pictures. :wink:

There's certainly some variable quality in there; and defintely lots of things we wouldn't allow in my group.
Contrarywise, Frontier Fortress 2010 looks better than almost any event I've seen in this country.

Of course, the EMA is not a single group, but a collection of groups spanning quite a broad of church of authenticity, style and purpose.

The intention of the EMA is to provide the information, structure and support to allow member groups to pursue re-enactment, of their chosen flavour, safely, sensibley and within the law.

We [that is to say the member groups] run a liability insurance scheme, training weekends, give advice on risk assessments and so on.

There is no specific time period represented, or minimum kit standard; that's up to member groups to decide for themselves; certainly some are very good.

This event is the only public event that we run and is an opportunity for those groups to interact and learn from each other.
There are also quite a large number of non-EMA groups at the event; hopefully with the same aim.
The pictures only show quite a small cross-section of what was happening at the event; mostly an open, full contact tourney and the battle.

I'm also very aware that the acceptable level of authenticty is usually measured as "just a little bit less than what we do". :wink:

Richard DeCrouern

Postby Richard DeCrouern » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:27 pm

So no comment on the photographs then?

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 am

The E.M.A. event at Caldicot is open to all members of the E.M.A. and any other “medieval” group that wishes to come along and have a fun weekend in a fantastic, relaxed setting.

The battle is a bit of fun and has a completely fictional theme, it has never been advertised as period specific. I`m sure that not all of the groups that attend Tewksbury, or Bannockburn profess to be 100% authentic to the particular periods. I know they too have their fare share of WANG lol.

I think that the link to the photographs was posted more for the use of the people who attended the event, rather than an open request for comments on their quality or their content. After all, we all like to have a visual aid to remembering a great weekend don`t we?

Sometimes a little more thought needs to be put into constructing comments on forums, such as this, as it is notoriously hard to accurately interpret the meanings and thought processes behind the written words. People tend to get quite upset when comments are made about something they are so passionate about. After all, we are all passionate about this hobby and long may it be so.

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

hamster

Postby hamster » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Richard DeCrouern wrote:So no comment on the photographs then?

tey are brilliant as would have expected from yer goodself nice to see you in proper kit for a change not just yer civies
getting de kitted by woman . :angel: and getting hugs when you dont do hugs :* dear boy

Carl / Sir Geoffrey

Postby Carl / Sir Geoffrey » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Rich,

Excellent pictures as always.

Cheers

Carl

Carl Sprake
Sir Geoffrey of Woodstock
CarlSprake.co.uk
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

tonw

Postby tonw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:02 am

<mod>

At the request of the thread starter all posts off topic have been split from this discussion

Thank you

<Mod>

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:31 pm

split and placed where...or do you actually mean deleted? (as I fail to find the split thread anywhere else at the time of posting)

Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 pm

thank you :thumbup:

"I don't know what you're doing with that bowling ball, girly. But I'm not gonna stand by and let a lady do a man's job."

tonw

Postby tonw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:45 pm

<Mod>

As there was nothing constructive within the removed posts they were moved into the Moderators section

<Mod>

--

You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:49 pm

so in effect you deleted them not split them off as they are no longer viewable by non-moderators.

Given the whole storm in a teacup/toys out of pram affair that these 'non constructive' comments caused and the resultant debate regarding sly and back handed comments, surely it would have been better to just be up front and say that they were deleted, let's face it, you're not likely to put them into their own new thread now are you? (although I look forward to being proved incorrect on that count!)

As it happens I now feel that although the thread makes a semblance of sense, future readers unaware of the the removed posts will view the thread in a different manner. Surely it would have been better to have taken the earlier comment of deleting the bulk of the thread, possibly leaving the first 5 posts as those after this are now a mish-mash of replies to posts now removed.

Edited 23:30 23rd 9/2010 to remove error...confused over a crosspost
Last edited by Gandi on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Look, the whole episode has been quite pathetic. Most of the posts were people responding to what someone said someone had said, or meant, rather than what was actually written down. Personally I'd have ignored the requests to remove it, but what's the value in bringing it back, just so that someone else can complain that it wasn't deleted.

As far as I know none of the moderators volunteered to be moderators, though if you want to be the first, drop Cal a PM.

However it was dealt with there would be someone not happy, so I think it's better just to let it go huh? it's just the internet, not real life.

Either way, it wasn't my call so I'm not going to change it.

Dave.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Dave B wrote:Look, the whole episode has been quite pathetic. Most of the posts were people responding to what someone said someone had said, or meant, rather than what was actually written down. Personally I'd have ignored the requests to remove it, but what's the value in bringing it back, just so that someone else can complain that it wasn't deleted.

As far as I know none of the moderators volunteered to be moderators, though if you want to be the first, drop Cal a PM.

However it was dealt with there would be someone not happy, so I think it's better just to let it go huh? it's just the internet, not real life.

Either way, it wasn't my call so I'm not going to change it.

Dave.

Was there a call for posts to be re-instated. No.

Was the voluntary status of the moderation team brought into question. No.

Did I suggest, imply or infer that I would wish to be a moderator. No.

There was a call for exactly what Fox has been on about...clarity and perhaps a little honesty.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:20 am

Come on chap, no need to start another pointless argument.

Whilst there was no direct call for bringing the thread back, it did seem rather implicit in the sarcasm about that not happening.

The point about my comment about the voluntary status of the moderators was that they don't have time to endlessly explain the way they have posted the conflicting demands of people who demand no censorship and people who insist of deletion of anything that offends them.

And your comment about 'a little honesty' suggests that you are accusing someone of dishonesty, which is hardly on.

Now I'd much rather ignore all this and eat my breakfast, but that seems to play into the hand of accusations of lack of clarity and openess.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

darrelltemplar

Postby darrelltemplar » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 pm

hmm its none of my business really but play nicely eh kids if you dont like the photos dont look at em :D (again anyway)

bad name choice as no longer a templar ah well
for the morlais instead!

Sampson de Strelley

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 am

hi richard

great photos of caldicot well done, are you the gentleman that was taking photos of the young lad that was swinging the fire around, im a friend of his dad that has asked about them

cheers

stefon

lifes life get on with it :)

JAYS

Postby JAYS » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 am

Well purely as a newcomer to all this..... I looked at the EMA advert for Caldicot and assumed it would be a mix of periods so was not disappointed. I enjoyed looking through Richard's photos and a shame the thread ended up as it did.

Sampson de Strelley

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 am

glad you enjoyed it. i like caldicot its just such a nice low key event with no hassle etc :$ :$

lifes life get on with it :)

Richard DeCrouern

Postby Richard DeCrouern » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Stefon. Yeah that was me. my email address is innesrich@yahoo.co.uk if he would like to contact me.

Return to “Pictures”