Skinner's Horse at Kelmarsh

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Celebrinthil

Skinner's Horse at Kelmarsh

Postby Celebrinthil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:28 am

Bertie, me and the memsahib on Saturday.

A great weekend. Thanks for the generous feedback from all the re-enactors that caught our show!

Mike
Attachments
kelmarsh.JPG

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:17 am

I keep hearing: Skinner's Horse were amazing.

Shame that I missed you; busy doing my bit elsewhere unfortunately. :(

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:17 am

Your horse has one hell of a goatee Mike :wink:

Looking good, looking very good mate.

Who are you riding there, as I was sure Nero was a different colour?

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Fox, please thank anyone who told you that! We had a great time and I hope you get a chance to see us next year.

Andy - your memory lets you down, I'm on Nero. He's always been dark bay!

Redders

Postby Redders » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 pm

I had the opportunity to see your displays as we were camped right next to the arena.

Absolutely fantastic Major Sir!!!!!!

Really Impressed with the horsemanship and, of course, Horse 'Lady' Ship too!!

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:17 pm

Celebrinthil wrote:Andy - your memory lets you down, I'm on Nero. He's always been dark bay!

Well, you get to a certain age and your memory goes to pot.

Why was I thinking he was a grey - were you doing your picador training on a grey?

Or has the old grey matter just gone that little bit too grey :?

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Really enjoyed it, it was surprise treat of the weekend, not one I'd planned to see. In fact we were just going to catch a little bit till the WW2 boys started but stayed to watch instead.

Lots of fun, and nice to briefly meet some of your lot outside the beer tent.

I was impressed by the costume, props and organisation of your ground crew too, something that often seems to be overlooked by donkeywallopers.

Dave.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks Redders and Dave! Our ground crew was supplied by friends - mainly from the 17th Lancers and Chris and Vince from the Diehards. A massive thanks to them for the whole season, we can't do it without them and we are really appreciative.

Andy - picador is Spanish and they act as cannon fodder for the bull. In Portugal the rider performs the same function as the matador and is a "cavaleiro" - I've ridden many horses training over there but I think your grey matter is working as I think you're remembering me on a beautiful Luso-Arabe cross called Ulysses. Unfortunatley he died last year after an accident in the ring. A lovely horse (though not easy to ride) and he'll be missed.
Attachments
IMG_2067.JPG
Me on Ulysses
Last edited by Celebrinthil on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of.

Preffer Nero though - I have a soft spot for dark bays

he also has the refinement that my hairy wee lad is missing.
Although if I was only allowed to hog him - what a difference that would make

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Andy, you need to come over to Luso world! The best horses, most delicious wines (no, not Mateus Rosé) and the finest salt cod you could wish for....

...and no hairy nonsense allowed! ;-P

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:32 pm

As I told you when I spoke to you on Sunday Mike, I thought your display was brilliant. It gives us something to work towards! :lol:

I might be looking for a Luso or Andalucian at some point myself. Keep your eyes open for one for me :wink:

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Celebrinthil wrote:...and no hairy nonsense allowed! ;-P

Me or the horse?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Bogwoppit wrote:As I told you when I spoke to you on Sunday Mike, I thought your display was brilliant. It gives us something to work towards! :lol:

I might be looking for a Luso or Andalucian at some point myself. Keep your eyes open for one for me :wink:

Hi TJ,

Just make sure you keep talking to Mike then.

Talk to the dodgy looking chap with the most excelent whiskers and you will find yourself with a mule.

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Oi! Cast ye no aspersions on Meg... she's beeoootiful! :lol:

Or even worse... were you calling Mac a mule??? :shock:

:wink:

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Bogwoppit wrote:Oi! Cast ye no aspersions on Meg... she's beeoootiful! :lol:

indeed she is, but is she the Luso you want?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:31 pm

and, and , and, and.....

You can see from Mike's comments that he is a biggot.

Celebrinthil wrote:...and no hairy nonsense allowed! ;-P

poo-pooing my cuddie purely because he is not Iberian and somewhat shaggier....

With his short fat hairy legs, he is the Ernie Wise of the equestrian world..!!
(yes, his head carriage is awful, but he's not been ridden on the bit all these years, and his saddle sucked, so he was moving his back away from it. Still, all sorted now :D )

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Great piccies Andy! The Ernie Wise of the equine world....priceless!

TJ - thanks for compliment and if you're serious about getting a Luso, PM me and we can have a chat.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks Mike.

Are we going to see you at Aldershot and Windsor next year?

I know Andy's not keen any more as it's a conventionally turned out horse show (with pointy sticks) and hard hats to current PAS standards are mandetory.

Toodle-pip,
Andy

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 am

Well, we are considering it. Are you sure they have to be PAS? Bertie reckoned that it just required hard hats and we would consider vintage polo helmets. Ideally we would want to turn out in pagris and polo shirts - what would they do with a team from India/Pakistan if they wanted to enter? They would be in pagris for sure.

Unfortunately it smacks of the PC/H&S state we live in (you can imagine how much Bertie likes that!) - in most countries you wear what you like rather than being treated like children. This country is most annoying.

Rant over.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:48 am

Celebrinthil wrote:Well, we are considering it. Are you sure they have to be PAS? Bertie reckoned that it just required hard hats and we would consider vintage polo helmets. Ideally we would want to turn out in pagris and polo shirts - what would they do with a team from India/Pakistan if they wanted to enter? They would be in pagris for sure.

Unfortunately it smacks of the PC/H&S state we live in (you can imagine how much Bertie likes that!) - in most countries you wear what you like rather than being treated like children. This country is most annoying.

Rant over.

Both events are run at long running horse shows. In fact if jumping takes your fancy, the Inter Services Challenge includes show jumping also.

As a result of that, current regs. have to be adhered to.

Also, Windsor is a royal show, so ideally the order of dress is black jacket and white tie/stock.

Other BTPA events may differ. Certainly the international events I have seen show them in polo shirts.

One of my mates just had to turn down a free trip to South Africa to take part in the Ladies team at the world championships as she had no holiday left :(

After talking with Andy though, there may be a call to run a "Victorian" tournament.

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks for that Andy.

Well, white men don't jump so you're on your own there.

Will probably give the comps a miss if they're going to be like most equitation in the UK. Just not my bag....

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:35 am

Celebrinthil wrote:Well, white men don't jump so you're on your own there...

So how are you going to do SLR without jumping?

I can appreciate your point of view though, and I'll mail you about other stuff.

Take it easy,
Andy

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Andy R wrote:After talking with Andy though, there may be a call to run a "Victorian" tournament.

Ooh- if you need anyone to do the singlestick on horse vs bayonet on foot, as was popular at such, and /or any other Victoriamn tournament games I know a whole wedge of people with the skills and willingness to do such.
http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2001/j ... 2_0801.htm

Just have to track down authenty boxing gloves and cricket pads first...

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Hehehe - thanks Phil! I'm sure there's no end of chaps lining up for a go, but I'll ensure you're at the head of the queue....

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:36 pm

So how many sheep do you think you can cut through Mike?

A Sword Cutting Feat by Sgt. Major Clements, acknowledged to be the champion swordsman in the British Army: Cutting through 2 large sheep, with one stroke of the sword, a feat never before accomplished by any other swordsman.

Zoe

Postby Zoe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:12 pm

Andy R wrote:Yes, that's the one I was thinking of.

Preffer Nero though - I have a soft spot for dark bays

he also has the refinement that my hairy wee lad is missing.
Although if I was only allowed to hog him - what a difference that would make

You are so not allowed to hog the boy...it would be against all things right in the world! He is beautiful as he is and just as handy as the Iberian horses...the image of you both at full gallop at hangleton was priceless!

Hope all is well...Zorro is now being good after his rodeo antics and we are working our way up to riding most days with a little trot - fingers crossed he stays sound! You guys must come over soon...if Julie is up for it I am in need of her instruction!

Zx

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Zoe wrote:You are so not allowed to hog the boy...it would be against all things right in the world! He is beautiful as he is and just as handy as the Iberian horses...the image of you both at full gallop at hangleton was priceless!

Hope all is well...Zorro is now being good after his rodeo antics and we are working our way up to riding most days with a little trot - fingers crossed he stays sound! You guys must come over soon...if Julie is up for it I am in need of her instruction!

Zx

While in my heart I agree, there are those certain times when you want to be grabbing reins and not hair - you know, those "exit stage right at a flat gallop" moments

He also gets very sweaty under it all in the hot weather, and I do feel for the wee chap.

Julie says yes, and yes - just sort out a date.

Take it easy, and best to Dickie,
Andy

Return to “Pictures”