Neil Marshall's Centurion

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Dan of Britannia
Post Centurion

Neil Marshall's Centurion

Postby Dan of Britannia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:20 am

An image sent to me last night by one of the crew! :lol:
Attachments
Britannia lads on Centurion LR.jpg

www.durolitum.co.uk

Conare nullius momenti videri fortasse missilibus careant.
(Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo).

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Aw, Bless, don't they look sweet :wink:

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:01 am

And there was me,expecting to see a Tank.........
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Interesting mix of kit styles - is this one of these events where "It's Roman" so anything from a four hundred year period will do?

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Dan of Britannia
Post Centurion

Postby Dan of Britannia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Not an event... it's a film :lol:

We don't normally attend events like that.

But - If a film director pays us we'll wear whatever they put us in (even gimp gear if the money's right :wink: ).

Because then the money goes to paying for kit that is accurate to a specific period.

& if the film's any good then it'll generate interest in history and in theory a few more people come to shows....

After Gladiator in 2000 we had loads of interest/bookings on the wake of that.

(Who knows... the film may even inspire a few people to get out into the fresh air who would normally be sitting on their fat track-suited ar5es watching Big Brother or munching through a MacDonald's before wasting their lives wandering around Ikea etc etc)

Here's hoping.

:wink:

www.durolitum.co.uk

Flesh&Blood

Postby Flesh&Blood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Dan of Britannia wrote:Not an event... it's a film

Ah Dan, you are falling into the trap, over 95% of the veiwing public insist on an entertaining story, or to learn about something from an entertaining programme, rather that the 5 odd % who shout at the telly about authenticity.

This is why more and more film makers, or programme assistants are shying away from re enactors as hired labour for the day, as they more often than not spend the day stirring up dissention and moaning about something rather than doing the job they are being paid for, it's less hassle to get in a load of extra's from an agency, tog them up and tell them what to do. You can in some cases suggest things to directors, like things that are glaringly wrong, but he's the man who sign's the cheques ultimately, and he's the one on the other side of the lens who 'knows implicitly' what he wants to portray that is true to the script that he is being paid to convey into images. Having someone throwing a strop, who is in effect 'mobile scenery' just makes the job twice as hard.

And the naked thing, don't forget the blue tea cosy :wink: :lol:

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Flesh&Blood wrote:
Dan of Britannia wrote:Not an event... it's a film

This is why more and more film makers, or programme assistants are shying away from re enactors as hired labour for the day, as they more often than not spend the day stirring up dissention and moaning about something rather than doing the job they are being paid for, it's less hassle to get in a load of extra's from an agency, tog them up and tell them what to do. You can in some cases suggest things to directors, like things that are glaringly wrong, but he's the man who sign's the cheques ultimately, and he's the one on the other side of the lens who 'knows implicitly' what he wants to portray that is true to the script that he is being paid to convey into images. Having someone throwing a strop, who is in effect 'mobile scenery' just makes the job twice as hard.

People say that from time to time, and I appreciate on an open forum you can't say much, but is there any evidence to back this up? Do we know of directors and caster who have specifically said "bloody re-enactor prim-donnas complained about the costume being 5 years out of date and made of cotton, we're not hiring them again."

Flesh&Blood

Postby Flesh&Blood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Yep, worked with 2 so far, one Roman/Iron Age, one Medieval.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:17 pm

guthrie wrote: Do we know of directors and caster who have specifically said "bloody re-enactor prim-donnas complained about the costume being 5 years out of date and made of cotton, we're not hiring them again."

Yes, Antoine Fuqua and some of his team. Apparently (and this was related to me by someone who worked on KA but kept their head down and their gob shut), the stock response to any sort of query concerning authenticity (of kit or storyline) was something along the lines of "You people, you don't even know your own history!"

As F&B says, you're there to do a job, and unless that job goes under the title of 'Historical Advisor' (hang your head in shame John Matthews, you cock), it doesn't involve any creative input unless asked.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm

And there in be your warning.

If you're not prepared to prostitute your historical integrity, be very careful when accepting film or TV work.

I know a few people who worked on King Arthur and it may be a cr@p film [and I'm not just talking about authenticity], but it sounds like they had a real good time.

If I had different flexibilty in my job, or film work paid more, I'd be very tempted to slap a short dress and a bit of lippy on my integrity and see what she'd fetch [the dirty slapper].

Dan of Britannia
Post Centurion

Postby Dan of Britannia » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Matt - I think I know the same bloke who worked on KA.

He just shut his gob & took the money.

I don't have a problem with most films - as with films like Gladiator, Ridley Scott was honest & said in a 1999 interview (paraphrased): "It's not a documentary, it's a fantasy loosely based on some factual characters and events to give it a little grounding"

KA was annoying though because it was sold to the audiences as 'factual history' and they even issued a shoddy 'educational pack'

I'm happy to take part in films because - in my opinion - a film mind-set makes for a better performance on the show-fighting event (not competition fighting). If you play to a camera well, you sure as hell can play to an audience.

Also - it helps with funds (A good run of extra work can pay for a serious amount of kit). and contacts (a lot of clever/skilled people work on films that are handy to know).

Also by a very slow attritional process, our research (all groups) does filter through to the film industry (look at the quality of kit in some productions... Kingdom of Heaven looked as though they had been studying Conquest/Regia/The Vikings etc).

When I was called to Shepperton to meet the art dept on Gladiator in 1999 I was amazed at the amount of pictures of re-enactors at events on the walls (going back years).

As Matt says - if you ain't in as a consultant - don't throw a spanner in the works unless asked on matters of authenticity.

I have seen a few cringe-making moments on film sets when the odd re-enactor has acted like a caricature anorak and caused a scene or disrupted things because they want to set the record straight - once the cameras are rolling it's too late!

On one set the crew were calling them TINAs ('That Is Not Allowed')

:roll: :roll:

www.durolitum.co.uk

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Dan, by an "event" I meant in the broad sense of a group turning up somewhere to do something.

As you say, if its a film, then generally its for entertainment and the accuracy tends to go out the window to a greater or lesser extent (I reckon its partly for selling the film - if you try and sell a film about "Romans" to the public they expect Ermine Street Guard/Asterix style Romans in Lorica segmentata - if you did a late Roman job and kitted them all out like Britannia then I suspectt that marketing the film tothe distributers would be a lot harder as they want an easy visual hook to attract the punters.

As for the historical advisors or whatever the company want to call them, some of them are probably vvery good, there are enough dodgy costumes in films to wonder if their advisors actually knew anything about the period , and in oither cases the historical advice is binned becasue it gets in the way of the story.

What is sad is that often the real story is more exciting than the version peddled by the film maker (goes for all periods)

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Dan of Britannia
Post Centurion

Postby Dan of Britannia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 am

Absolutely agree M.

There seems to have been friction on most of the feature films we've been on between the armourers & British costume depts and the 'big names' in principal actor's wardrobe... who tend to be people that disregard all the hard work and advice of the many people on these projects that do actually care about what is right... for the sake of making their mark or adding something of artistic merit :roll: that'll "look really cool!" :roll: :roll: :roll:

P.S.
Dan, by an "event" I meant in the broad sense of a group turning up somewhere to do something

Apologies, misunderstood what you meant. :)

www.durolitum.co.uk

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:12 am

Two things I learned while doing filmwork and always used as a baseline-
Extras are simply moving furniture- they only get a say if something is dangerous or illegal.

If the Director's children/partner/ mother thinks something is cool it will trump any advisor/ history/ designer's opinion.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Return to “Pictures”