Finished dress :)

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

lidimy
Post Knight

Finished dress :)

Postby lidimy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:06 pm

I was a bit disappointed. The sleeves still went wrong.. they fit, I guess, but were pulling off my shoulder, mainly, I think, because my kirtle sleeves underneath (I WILL DEFINITELY be making a new kirtle to go with this gown!!!) were gathered up and were drifting back down during the day.

Plus.. the lacing.... hmmm. I don't how the original picture lady did it. But with the ladder lacing, the sides kept wanting to buckle :( I think I shall have to change lacing method.

Well, never mind. Can't end this with doom and gloom... It was a pretty good attempt for my first shot at making a pattern from scratch, and what issues there are, are remediable given time (which you will be aware I was short of...)

Me and my dad (:

Me under a tree (:

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

red razors

Postby red razors » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:07 pm

nice! i do love the colour :)
perhaps you can stiffen the edges of the lacing to stop them buckling?

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:07 pm

At last.

And resisit any urge to wear a hat (unless it's one of those fine gauze ones that look like a top hat with the brim tunred down.

You are a Lady of Savoy, let those borish Normans cover their shameful locks.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 pm

I rather enjoyed the liberty of having my hair down! :D well, on show, anyway. The alternative is a hennin but.... garrr. Far too much hassle.

Red - I think I will do that. I rather neglected the lacing bits I'm afraid!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 pm

You look absolutely lovely Lidy, and what a vibrant colour.
Well done!
You can see the things you want to improve, that's often how it goes with a dress, several things to work on appear at first wearing, and can usually be sorted just fine with a little thought. Follow Razors advice about the stiffening, and you won't go far wrong.
Fine frock.
:D
Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks Lucy... my dad was pleased about his colour coordinating trousers! :lol:

On second thoughts, the sleeves maybe could do with altering. I think I'll take them out and replace them further round to the front...

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:25 am

gorgeous colour. Agree that a little stiffening at the lacing edges might sort that out easily for you

Ellie D

Postby Ellie D » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 am

That's a beautiful dress. What period is it? Genuinely interested cos I don't recognise the style and I'd like to know more :)
You look very pretty in it too.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:00 am

It's 15th C.... English sources showing a similar style are mid to late 15th C but I can't remember the exact date of the Italian picture I took the dress from, sorry! Definitely 15th C though :lol:

I expect Marcus knows a few more details about what type of person would have worn a dress like it, all I know is that it's from the state of Savoy in Norhtern italy which was an area more influenced by fashions from across the border than by what are more recognisably 'Italian' styles.

I think.

:?

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Oh that's gorgeous :D

Aren't you pretty?!! Not that it's a surprise... just saying! :lol:
Last edited by Bogwoppit on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narvek

Postby narvek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:35 pm

very nice...

good work;)

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Xioumi

Postby Xioumi » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Would putting more lacing rings on and closer together make a difference? Not that the problem is that noticable anyway. You look lovely:)

Darkmere

Postby Darkmere » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Great Dress , Looking good :}

The Dogs of War

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Thank you thank you thank you (:

Xioumi, I tried to replicate the look of the original by spacing them quite far apart - I counted 6 lines which I took to be lacing, so I did 6. Or was it 5? Can't remember :? Either way, they're all 2" apart rather than the statutory 1", so I guess I could stick some more rings in. On some of the English piccies representing a style most similar to the one I'm showing, the lacing is a lot closer together as you suggest, and also spiral laced rather than ladder laced; both of which would improve the situation!

It doesn't look too aggravated in the piccies because that morning I had already noted the problem and had pinned all the bulges down :lol:

Bogwoppit, you didn't come in the end did you...? I kept an eye out for you from what few piccies you've posted but didn't see anyone who matched the spec :( (that is, curly brown hair and wafting of horses? :lol: :lol: )

Shame there are no rear views of the dress, most of the excess fabic was concentrated in the back you see (as per piccies :D ) and it was a -dream- to dance in. :D

Ellie D

Postby Ellie D » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:37 am

lidimy wrote:It's 15th C.... English sources showing a similar style are mid to late 15th C but I can't remember the exact date of the Italian picture I took the dress from, sorry! Definitely 15th C though :lol:

I expect Marcus knows a few more details about what type of person would have worn a dress like it, all I know is that it's from the state of Savoy in Norhtern italy which was an area more influenced by fashions from across the border than by what are more recognisably 'Italian' styles.

I think.

:?

Thankyou, I've still got a lot to learn I think ;)

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:55 am

Me too! :lol:

I think I may have been a little over ambitious but I reckon I'll live with it!

I just don't know what to do with my free time.. .I don't have any urgent sewing to do... I guess I could hoover for the first time in months (well, I thought there wasn't much point in hoovering before my dress was finished because the raw edges kept presenting parcels of silk thread on my floor! It was a perfectly logical and reasonable decision... :roll: :oops: )

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:26 pm

As requested! :lol:

Nice wool thingy, I've only finished the bodice of the kirtle from the MTA/TT side lacing kirtle patterns, modified slightly, blah blah blah.

For some reason it's wonky... who knows why?! :roll:

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:34 am

Show us the shoes!!!!

By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

ValTarrant

Postby ValTarrant » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:33 am

Nice woolly thing - definitely!

It will be very handy when you go to the Medieval Fair (fayre?) in Norwich Cathedral to keep you warm!

Val

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:22 am

ValTarrant wrote:Nice woolly thing - definitely!

It will be very handy when you go to the Medieval Fair (fayre?) in Norwich Cathedral to keep you warm!

Val

Yehhh! That's why I wanted to make it ASAP! :D You going to be there..? I'll be in Tudor stuff though (warmer due to woolly partlet), but this kirtle does beautifully for that, too :D

Thrud, my mum took two other pictures which had my be-shoed foot sticking out a little, but those pictures turned out rubbish so I plumped for the above instead. All in good time... :D

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:43 pm

My wife has a simple drop stone pendent that would look nice with this. I'll ask her if she feels like giving it up.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

ValTarrant

Postby ValTarrant » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:57 pm

lidimy wrote:
ValTarrant wrote:Nice woolly thing - definitely!

Val

Yehhh! That's why I wanted to make it ASAP! :D You going to be there..?

I will but I'm going on Friday and not in costume. I really don't want to do "park and ride" and Christmas shopping in my "not up to scratch yet" kit. :)

Val

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:46 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:My wife has a simple drop stone pendent that would look nice with this. I'll ask her if she feels like giving it up.

Cooo :D

Val - shame :( I was planning to be there all day Sunday, might drop by on the Friday morning but won't have time after college! :(

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 am

Lidi, do you have a placket under the skirt join over your stomach. That is a piece of matching fabric so when the cut bulges open it does not look as though you are showing off your undies!!

But well done you.

Also try sewing a long strip of furnishing calico under each shoulder strap piece to stop the silk sliding off you shoulders.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Shhhhhh it's been something I've been meaning to do for a long time! :oops: Really it needs both more hooks 'n eyes, and a proper placket thing. The sleeves need re-setting, I think that's part of the slippy problem... they're already lined in a sturdy linen so I'm not sure what benefit extra calico would be though?

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 am

Hi Lidi,

The front of your dress buckles and the shoulder straps do not stay on your shoulders. So .... Add a strip of something very firm like furnishing calico up both sides of the front and over the shoulders, on the straight grain of fabric. If it still buckles and the shoulders migrate, then it is the cut, not the fabric that is the problem. See.

Return to “Pictures”