Light kit at Kungahälla Medieval festival

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Lorang

Light kit at Kungahälla Medieval festival

Post by Lorang »

Hi there! I just wanted to show off with a picture of me from Kungahälla Medieval festival outside Gothenburg in Sweden.

This is the light kit I use when fighting and walking around with no intentions of breaking a sweat.

Attachments
onmyway.jpg

Mordengaard

Post by Mordengaard »

Pretty!

What does your heavy kit look like?
Mordengaard, aka "Little Richard"
The Company of the Black Serpent

Lorang

Post by Lorang »

Add a chainmail, bascinet with aventail, full greaves and you are nearly there. I´ll se what I can find of pictures.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Is that a padded jack under your armour? And how are your plate legs suspended, are they hung from a belt?
www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Lorang

Post by Lorang »

Hi Jim!

Yes, that´s a old , worn out padded jacket you see under there. The plate legs are suspended from a belt yes, I have found this to function superb. I have two leather straps from each plate, connected to a broad belt. Some members of my group have tried the "vest-approach" with good results. I guess I have the perfect hips or something...

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

"Is that a padded jack you're wearing?" (Or are you just pleased to see me?) :lol:
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Lorang wrote:Hi Jim!

Yes, that´s a old , worn out padded jacket you see under there. The plate legs are suspended from a belt yes, I have found this to function superb. I have two leather straps from each plate, connected to a broad belt. Some members of my group have tried the "vest-approach" with good results. I guess I have the perfect hips or something...
I just wondered, as I used to wear my armour the same way. Eventually I had a proper arming doublet made up, and both hose and plate legs are now pointed to the doublet. This not only works better than a belt, it looks authentic too. Padded jacks, AFAIK, weren't worn under plate armour (doubtless someone will prove me wrong though), because they consitute armour in themselves, and also their thickness reduces the level of movement available to you under all that metal.

It's just a thought, something that might help improve the look and function of your (very nice) armour. :)

Lorang

Post by Lorang »

Thank you for your feedback Jim! I`m a little unclear on the dating on arming doublet, when did they start using it? I am supposed to be a mercenary around 1397-1412, but if it fits in to that timeperiod, maybe I should modify my new jacket?

I have never had any problems that I know of with the thickness of my gambeson, but maybe thats because I have allways used one?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Lorang wrote:Thank you for your feedback Jim! I`m a little unclear on the dating on arming doublet, when did they start using it? I am supposed to be a mercenary around 1397-1412, but if it fits in to that timeperiod, maybe I should modify my new jacket?

I have never had any problems that I know of with the thickness of my gambeson, but maybe thats because I have allways used one?
To be honest I'm not sure at what point arming doublets started being used. I would have thought they would have come in alongside the advent of full harness - I don't think a padded jack was ever used as the foundation for full harness, it wouldn't make much sense to me...

Someone with more knowledge might want to chime in at this point.