2005 Abbey Tournament

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Henri de Bonner

2005 Abbey Tournament

Post by Sir Henri de Bonner »

Sir Henri de Bonner of England (left) in single combat against Ritter von Konigswald at the Abbey Tournament in Brisbane.
Attachments
Sir Henri and von Konigswald
Sir Henri and von Konigswald

Scraggles

Post by Scraggles »

Nice clear and crisp photo, who won btw ?

Sir Henri de Bonner

Konigswald reversed his grip on his two hander and took me down with a murder strike using the quillions like an axe head. A glorious defeat at the hands of a most gentle and chivalrous knight.

I've attached another pic from that combat. The originals look heaps better as I had to reduce the size by 90% in order to post.
Attachments
DSC_3106.jpg

mac (crucesignati)

Post by mac (crucesignati) »

Your kit looks great, is it hard doing what you do with the climate over there?

Wyrd

Post by Wyrd »

Hi. The photos are excellent. Me and the better half attended the medieval bash in Brisbane in May this year. I have no end of respect for you guys donning the armour in that heat. Even though it was autumn over there I was boiling. Standing in the sun for a few minutes was like having a flipping sauna :lol:

There was quite a mixture of periods with some fantasy thrown in - is that usual for events over there?
Brain: "Pinky are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky "I think so, Brain, but why does a forklift have to be so big if all it does is lift forks?"

Sir Henri de Bonner

We train all year round except for two weeks at christmas and we generally don't train in harness as its too hot. Tournament season is in winter when the temperature is in the low 20's. I'm wearing about 35 kilos of harness and I tell you it gets very hot, one the most common injuries is heat stroke.
I'm not sure what you mean by fantasy, true there are a couple of groups in Brisbane that leave a little to be desired, like the pirates. Everybody else is trying, to some degree, to recreate some specific period of history. The living history group I belong to, the Knights Order of Lion Rampant, recreates tournament life in Western Europe during the late 14th century and considering we live on the opposite side of the globe to western europe we do a reasonable job.
I've added another pic of me fighting Ronaldo del la Rosa at the History Alive 2005.
Attachments
dsc_2724.jpg

Patrick Kelly

Post by Patrick Kelly »

Very nice looking harness Sir Henri.

For those of you complaining about the "fantasy" element you should try attending a "renaissance" festival here in the US. Good Lord!

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Patrick Kelly wrote:Very nice looking harness Sir Henri.

For those of you complaining about the "fantasy" element you should try attending a "renaissance" festival here in the US. Good Lord!
Patrick, I've sene Renfair groups - Sir Henri and his chaps are much better than that!
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Wyrd

Post by Wyrd »

Sir Henri I do apologise I was not "complaining about the fantasy element" I was merely curious about some of the things we'd seen (eg "Xena, Gabrielle and Callisto") which I felt looked out of place next to the authentic medieval re-enactors. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

We're still in touch with some of the re-enactors we talked to that day. They were saying they had a problem buying cloth so we put them in touch with some of the traders over here. I agree that you guys do a great job and no criticism was intended - honest! :)

Was your group present on the day? I remember the living history camp very well so might be able to place you.
Pinky "I think so, Brain, but why does a forklift have to be so big if all it does is lift forks?"

Patrick Kelly

Post by Patrick Kelly »

Alan_F wrote: Patrick, I've sene Renfair groups - Sir Henri and his chaps are much better than that!
I agree, Sir Henri and his companions seem to have some very nice looking equipment. I do like Sir Henri's blackened armour with the brass/bronze trim.

My wife and I recently attended a large Faire in Texas with some friends. We were in our 11th-12th century attire and we really stood out amidst people who looked like cast rejects from Xena and Road Warrior. Every Faire hear in the States always has to have it's own group of pirates too!

Wyrd

Post by Wyrd »

Every Faire hear in the States always has to have it's own group of pirates too!
Horses for courses!

Sir Henri de Bonner

I didn't mean to over react because I couldn't recall any group the Brisbane Medieval Fayre that were a fantasy group. I was thinking about this this morning and remembered a bunch of guys who came to the show as paying customers who were dressed up in D&D outfits. For some crazy reason the organisers of the weekend got them to participate in the parade. I must admit that they put alot of effort into those costumes and alot of speed rivets. I'd forgotten about Xena and co but now that you remind me, I'm quite partial to pretty girls in short skirts.
Our mob, the Knights Order of Lion Rampant, were encamped on the eastern end of field next to the viking group that had the long boat.
My harness was blued with brass trim but after 4 seasons I've had enough and stripped it back and polished it to a high finish. I found that the blueing required so much maintenance between shows to keep it looking good and I'm just over it. I admit it was cool to be the only guy in black harness and you've gotta luv the pirates.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Alan_F wrote: Patrick, I've sene Renfair groups - Sir Henri and his chaps are much better than that!
I agree, Sir Henri and his companions seem to have some very nice looking equipment. I do like Sir Henri's blackened armour with the brass/bronze trim.

My wife and I recently attended a large Faire in Texas with some friends. We were in our 11th-12th century attire and we really stood out amidst people who looked like cast rejects from Xena and Road Warrior. Every Faire hear in the States always has to have it's own group of pirates too!
Patrick, I have a friend who tried for years to get more authenticity in Ren Faires, but when a member of the public can walk in dressed in shirt, army beret and jogging pants and say that they are King Arthur, she decided it was a losing battle and only goes to authenty events now.
I'd forgotten about Xena and co but now that you remind me, I'm quite partial to pretty girls in short skirts.
I don't mindd the Xena girls, so long as they remember that lycra is a privelige and not a right..... :shock:
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Patrick Kelly

Post by Patrick Kelly »

Alan_F wrote: Patrick, I have a friend who tried for years to get more authenticity in Ren Faires, but when a member of the public can walk in dressed in shirt, army beret and jogging pants and say that they are King Arthur, she decided it was a losing battle and only goes to authenty events now.
Long ago I stopped expecting authenticity at faires here in the states. In fact, I hadn't been to one in years before a couple of months ago when we decided to go to that one. However, when I start seeing both men and women who are about 30 to 50 pounds overweight wearing nothing but mail I have to stop the bus and get off. :shock:

In the end the most offensive thing we saw was a young man wearing nothing but green leafy underwear and a pare of plastic horns, apparently trying to do his best Pan imitation. I told a friend it would have been easier to simply walk around wearing a sign saying "Would someone please beat my ass?"

Sir Henri de Bonner

I'm suprised things are so bad in your parts of the world. We must be very lucky here in South East Queensland. We have four tournaments over the winter fighting season;
Brisbane Medieval Fayre & Tournament - Romans to Renaissance & an American Civil War group
Abbey Tournament - Romans to Renaissance
History Alive - Romans to WW II yep there are tanks
Gold Coast Medieval Tournament - Romans to Renaissance

Down south there is a Dark Age long weekend over Easter where six or seven hundred people from all the east coast get together, hit each and drink some beer.

You guys should move to Australia. I've added another pic of me beating up a French Knight.
Attachments
bmfat2 2005.jpg

Patrick Kelly

Post by Patrick Kelly »

Here in the US some areas of the country are better than others, and there are groups who are making concerted efforts to improve historical accuracy in the periods they portray. However, the commercial "Renaissance Faire" industry has always catered more to the realm of fantasy rather than authenticity. I'm afraid the medieval and renaissance activities haven't caught up with the American Civil War and Revolution oganizations.

Consequently, when I attend a Renaissance Faire dressed like this....
........I tend to stand out!

Now perhaps if I added a pare of baggy trousers or a pirate hat I might blend in. :lol:
Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyrd

Post by Wyrd »

Patrick you look good mate :)

Sir Henri - whereabouts on the Gold Coast is the Medieval Tournament?

Sorry if I'm showing excessive interest but ...... (sssshhhh don't tell anybody..) we have had an offer from an employer to emigrate to Australia. As my most beloved sister lives on the Gold Coast and I have hundreds of rellies in Brisbane we are considering said offer.

This is a really serious undertaking for us, to consider packing up and leaving our native land, but we have been to Australia several times and love the country and the people. This may sound really sad but a big consideration for us was leaving medieval re-enactment behind. However it seems that medieval re-enactment is alive and well and kicking in Queensland!

Sir Henri what do you think - would there be a place for two archers in any of the groups that you know of?

This is a serious post - life changing decisions being considered, albeit in a year or so time. So please, no flippant comments from those of you on here who like to make them. :D

Sir Henri de Bonner

2005 was the inaugral Gold Coast Medieval Fayre and it was held at one of the football clubs at Coolangatta. I unfortunately couldn't attend but have been informed that it was a pretty good weekend except for the occasional jumbo jet flying overhead. The president of KOLR helped out with some organisational issues with the show and has told us that the 2006 event should be heaps better. An issue is always advertising and marketing.
Is there any particular time period you prefer? In Brisbane most of the medieval groups are pre War of the Roses. Archery combat isn't that huge, most people want to hit someone with an axe or a sword.
Check out the Australian Living History Federation for the different groups in Queensland.
http://www.arlho.net/

Patrick Kelly

Post by Patrick Kelly »

Sir Henri,

When you had your armour blued did you experience any overheating due to the darker finish?

Wyrd

Post by Wyrd »

Thanks Sir Henri, will check out the link. We have kit that covers before and during WoTR. As I said it won't be for a while though. As we flew into Coolangatta from Sydney I understand what you mean about the planes! I remember sitting in one of the surf clubs near there watching them go over every few mins. Fantastic place. :)

Sir Henri de Bonner

Patrick Kelly wrote:Sir Henri,

When you had your armour blued did you experience any overheating due to the darker finish?
Yes, it does absorb alot heat from the sun when wearing it. But it looks so damn good and no one else has any and I'm rambling. It is hotter and very high maintance. I did for about 4 seasons and I've had enough, polishing harness is so much easier.

WorkMonkey

Post by WorkMonkey »

Patrick, you always look for an excuse to show a picture of your loverly looking gear don't you! you big show off! :lol: I'm confused though, Saxon or Norman?
WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Patrick Kelly

Post by Patrick Kelly »

WorkMonkey wrote:Patrick, you always look for an excuse to show a picture of your loverly looking gear don't you! you big show off! :lol: I'm confused though, Saxon or Norman?
Well of course I do! I am sooooooo pretty. :lol:

Whether Saxon or Norman: I truly can't decide. More Norman that Saxon but it really depends on my mood!

Patrick Kelly

Post by Patrick Kelly »

Sir Henri de Bonner wrote:Yes, it does absorb alot heat from the sun when wearing it. But it looks so damn good and no one else has any and I'm rambling. It is hotter and very high maintance. I did for about 4 seasons and I've had enough, polishing harness is so much easier.
Thanks Sir Henri,

I thought that might be the case. Years ago I had a friend who gave his harness a similar treatment. He looked damned good too, even on the way to the ambulance after collapsing from heatstroke. :D

It looks lovely with the brass trim though.

Sir Henri de Bonner

Yes the brass is very pretty. I must say that I do like your axe. You said that you tend to stand out at Renaissance Fairs. Did you attend them as part of a group and if not how does that work. Here in Brisbane each group that's invited to attend sets up some sort of encampment in the space they've been allotted and are required to do some sort of performance, be it combat or some type of living history activity. The living history group I belong to puts on a late 14th cent tournament with heralds, ladies, knights, men at arms and attendents.