Can jacobite re-enactment recover from this?

Moderator: Moderators

Mark P.

Can jacobite re-enactment recover from this?

Post by Mark P. »

Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

RTB

Post by RTB »

You just couldn't make it up. :roll: :roll:
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

Quayn

Post by Quayn »

Thanks for the heads up mark, it does mention further down that it also will apply to deer. so we're in trouble in other periods too. maybe not right away but if this passes then we're on the hit list. Anyone thinking that the leather industry is but a few decades away?
Q.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

A bat skin sporran, now there's an idea. :lol:

Ian Harbottle

Post by Ian Harbottle »

Hi all,

Quayn, the leather industry is already in danger. Prices of leather more than doubled after foot and mouth and have never gone down. Cheap leather goods from Asia are flooding the European market. Some are just as good in quality and construction as you can get made here. Synthetic materials are gaining preference in the saddlery industry as they are more durable and easily maintained. Speaking as a qualified saddler and leatherworker who provides to both re-enactors and the equestrian industry I’ve seen my profits fall year after year for the last 5 years and I'm getting to the stage where shelf-stacking will bring me in a higher living. The only leather industry doing well is in upholstery where the production of mass produced affordable furniture is at it's highest. All you need for that is a staple gun and a willingness to do shift patterns. (No offence to upholsterers in my stereotypical interpretation).

Any further legislation on top of the economic pressures could be the final nail in the coffin.

Apologies if this sounded like a rant, but I do feel better for it.

Andysmith

Post by Andysmith »

Och! The wee caulkie baubles! I made mine out of recycled hamsters. Nae longer will I hear the plaintive cry from the bairns..
"Daddy, did Fluffy, Hamish, Angus and Flora all go to Hamster heaven when you 'accidentally' kicked their communal hamster-ball across the living room, then out the door and under the wheels of that passing Land Rover Discovery?"

'Tis awfuuly warm when worn under th'kilt but take it off and leave it near a stack o'newspapers and they'll be shredded in nae time at all!

Yours
The McSmith of that ilk (can y'no be lendin' me five English pounds until my postal order comes in at th' end o'th' week?)

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

Ian Harbottle wrote:Synthetic materials are gaining preference in the saddlery industry
Philistines...!

You can't beat a good leather saddle, and I'd certainly pay more for leather over synthetic every day.

One of my local saddlers has the MOD contract for UP's, and he has no end of trouble trying to find leather that will fit their spec..
Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I wonder which arm of the Police will be dealing with the licencing and will it be an annual licence ?

I just phoned up to see where my BP licence renewal forms were and was greeted with a taped message that went along the lines ...

Dut to high workload/backlog they are only taking calls between 9am and 10am / 2pm and 4 pm and that any calls they took would delay them further.

Maybe they're busy dealing with the new sporran licences.
Pulteney's Regiment
The Men in Red

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

Leather saddles creak better :D

Sorry, that's not really relevant... *backs out*
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

Gerry,
You have unwittingly discovered the latest Jacobite SpecOps ploy...."sleepers" in firearms departments across the country are on the lookout for renewing Redcoats......
Steve(who got his back last week...Nah,Nah!)
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

You think that's bad, I got a letter telling me I need to renew my K and A and powder store licence..............................................it runs out in 2009.
Gerry same police force.