Equipment Update.

Moderator: Moderators

Le Loup

Equipment Update.

Postby Le Loup » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Just a couple of images of some of the equipment I am carrying on treks at present. Finally I managed to get a flintlock pistol. The ramrod was too short to be practicle, which seems to be a common problem, so I made a new wood ramrod with an antler tip.

No change here, this is my .62 caliber flintlock fusil that I have been carrying for many years.

My brass cannon barrel .70 caliber flintlock pistol with a left hand lock. I am not left handed, but can shoot with either hand, & the left hand lock allows me to carry it under my belt on my right side.

A closer look at the new ramrod I made.

Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

madjon

Re: Equipment Update.

Postby madjon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 am

Couldn't load plug in message again, nice collection of kit, the hatchet is a good size, with brass/bronze barrel on old guns, be aware of crystalization of the metal, not visible to the eye, but in old metal it occurs and can lead to barrel failure, so don't hold them the first couple of times they are fired, fire from a clamp, if they don't explode crack or bulge the first couple of times then they are usually good, a slightly coarser powder doesn't hurt, a drop to around 160 ft/s from about 180 ft/s initial velocity, in the UK if you wander around with a pistol in your belt then there's a good chance of being shot by the police, so a difference in local rules

Le Loup

Postby Le Loup » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:35 am

madjon wrote:Couldn't load plug in message again, nice collection of kit, the hatchet is a good size, with brass/bronze barrel on old guns, be aware of crystalization of the metal, not visible to the eye, but in old metal it occurs and can lead to barrel failure, so don't hold them the first couple of times they are fired, fire from a clamp, if they don't explode crack or bulge the first couple of times then they are usually good, a slightly coarser powder doesn't hurt, a drop to around 160 ft/s from about 180 ft/s initial velocity, in the UK if you wander around with a pistol in your belt then there's a good chance of being shot by the police, so a difference in local rules

I appreciate you taking the time to comment, & thanks for the information. As far as not being able to watch the posted video, try going to my site on youtube if you are interested. Perhaps you cam play the videos directly on youtube.
Regards, Keith.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public

Robert Frost

madjon

Postby madjon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Had a look at video on YouTube, a quick film review- presentation style overall is good, coverage of subject matter good, though there is some room for further technical discussion it would be on minor points that would detract from the overall subject, demonstrations are aimed at those with some familiarity with the subject matter and provides a look at a range of practical and historical considerations, there is room for discussion on some of the subject matter, but overall each film consists of sufficient material in sufficient breadth to be presented as a stand alone film requiring no further input from the watcher. Its material suitable for discussion and instruction across a range of audiences and would be good as a resource for undergrads.

There is a bit of regional variation but nothing of major note, in UK I tend to use the phrase sulphur match as spunk though correct has a different meaning to modern audience.

You probably aren't getting many responses to posts as the films you are presenting are overall of good quality with an overall good coverage of the material, approached with the right level of knowledge presumption in the audience.

Mostly any discussion on material would be on regional variation historically, or regional legal implications.
In other words you aren't getting many responses because your material covers what most people would say.

Le Loup

Postby Le Loup » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Adequate response would be "Interesting, thanks for sharing" . That is all I need to know whether or not I should bother posting any more articles/videos/posts. The responses on youtube are excellent.
Thank you.
Keith.

Robert Frost

madjon

Postby madjon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 pm

You did ask about why you weren't getting responses to posts and discussions etc here on forum, the answer has been given above, apart from a generic nice vid post, there isn't much to say :wink: so the above is relevant to your question.

Return to “1715-1810”