Naval Gunner jacket?

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

Naval Gunner jacket?

Postby Graham Ashford » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Hello all

I wonder if I might be able to get some help?

I am trying to track down the look/design of a Naval Warrant officers blue jacket in 1805. As far as I can find out in the 1750's a standard look was created for the PO type classes, Gunner, Bo'sun and Carpenter. However I have not been able to find out what this would have looked like around 1805.

Can anyone help at all?

Kindest regards

Graham

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Re: Naval Gunner jacket?

Postby Neibelungen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:58 am

1787 gives a blue faced coat with blue lapels, cuff and turned down collar. No dress or undress versions, just one coat.

It's likly that it would have evolved in style along with the other coats by 1805 and would be very similar to a midshipmans coat without the white facing and cuff, or surgeon without the collar embroidery. The latter being a warrant officer in rank.

Military Metalwork
Accoutrements, Regalia, Headdres & Metalwork

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Mollo's Uniforms of the Royal Navy gives some other details.

He notes the changes that brought the brought the three senior warrant officers into the officers mess also heralded an introduction of plain dress and undress coats for them with gilt brass buttons, with the older coats becoming the single style for those messing with the lower deck. Mates had white piping added to similar coats.

Buttons appear to have been plain with anchors, with pursers, surgeon and master gaining their own button patterns too. I suspect the undress version ommited the gold wirework collar patches.
The changes were probably introduced with the 1797 uniform revisions with the uniform cut following fashionable tastes and becoming more cut away by 1805 as was common with officers.

Military Metalwork
Accoutrements, Regalia, Headdres & Metalwork

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk

Graham Ashford

Postby Graham Ashford » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Sorry been offline for a bit.

A much appreciated thankyou.

Lots to think about here ... everytime I just about think I'm getting head round it something else comes up :)

Return to “1715-1810”