Leather waistcoat for workmen

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

Leather waistcoat for workmen

Postby Graham Ashford » Mon May 18, 2015 1:30 am

Hi there

I am still building up my library and references for this period. As such I've not been able to find any pictures/references for leather working man's waistcoat, but I have such a limited pool of resources at the moment I wondered whether anyone had heard of such a thing?

They seem to make a practical, hardworking sense and I have some spare leather perfect for the job, but can't find a reference for them - did such a thing exist?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

kael

Re: Leather waistcoat for workmen

Postby kael » Tue May 19, 2015 2:36 pm

I've not come across a leather waistcoat, but there are examples of leather aprons that attach to the top button of a waistcoat and tie at the back, and full length leather aprons that have an integral shoulder/neck strap worn over a shirt and waistcoat.
Attachments
20150504 082.jpg
An example of the latter.

Kingofderby

Postby Kingofderby » Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 am

I've seen pictures of workmen, but it's apron over normal clothing that I see being worn, not leather waist coats.

Graham Ashford

Postby Graham Ashford » Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 am

I figured it would probably be the case, it's a lot of work for something that will ultimately be wrecked. I liked the idea and thought I'd take a look and see.

Thanks for the time and input .. apron it is :)

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 am

Sleeved waistcoats in leather yes. But not for working class, but as hunting coats.

kael

Postby kael » Fri May 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Ooo interesting. What's the source for a period leather sleeved waistcoat? Sounds like a project.

Le Loup

Postby Le Loup » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:32 am

Graham Ashford wrote:Hi there

I am still building up my library and references for this period. As such I've not been able to find any pictures/references for leather working man's waistcoat, but I have such a limited pool of resources at the moment I wondered whether anyone had heard of such a thing?

They seem to make a practical, hardworking sense and I have some spare leather perfect for the job, but can't find a reference for them - did such a thing exist?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

To date Graham I have not been able to document the wearing of leather vests/waistcoats for the 1700-1750 period. Personally I would have thought that the use of leather for a waistcoat would have been fairly common, but this does not appear to be the case. Linen & wool only for the middling sort. If you do find any primary documentation, please let me know.
Regards, Keith.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “1715-1810”