Cups and more cups.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

Cups and more cups.

Postby Graham Ashford » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to get an idea for what sort of cups would be used for drinking aboard a ship of the line, in 1805 or so. Aboard the Victory at the moment they use the pitched leather tankards that are common at most reenactment markets. However I would have though that leather tankards, although pitched on the inside would have soon rotted out aboard an ocean going vessel like the Victory and I suspect that they have been bought for the Victory as a job lot.

However I am struggling to find out what they may have used, can anyone shed any light on this for me as I am running aground a bit. :)

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Graham

Kate1812

Re: Cups and more cups.

Postby Kate1812 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:46 am

There was a reference I read (can't recall where) that in a storm the men's earthenware crockery had all been smashed and they were forced to use the tinware which they were all issued with.
The captain was forced to put in to a friendless port ASAP to quell the rumblings of the men, forced to eat from tin.

So I would say use either tin or earthenware depending on your back story.

This is so simple a child of 5 could understand it......quick fetch me a child of 5!

de Coverley

Re: Cups and more cups.

Postby de Coverley » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:55 pm

I'd expect salt glaze pottery to be available.

Return to “1715-1810”