Jacobite "Badge"

Moderator: Moderators

Neil Johnston

Jacobite "Badge"

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:45 pm

With the prospect of another year passing and the annual Christmas spendathon both fast approaching. I was wondering rather than get another round of socks, sweets and scarves from my nearest and dearest, if anybody has a source I could point them in the direction of for the metal (copper?) Jacobite "badge" with CES on it which some of the Lace Wars guys have.

It is the one exhibited in the NMS in Edinburgh and also shown in Osprey Highland Clansman book, can't remember which plate exactly?

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:45 pm

I've got one and so has Corp. Paul and Corp Ken. I'm off to France tomorrow but will look up the name of the manufacturer when I get back.

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks Tod
I knew quite a few of the guys had them
Enjoy France.....remember and bring back those 10,000 troops we were promised with you!!!! :D
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm doing the whole John Roy Stewart thing, I'm off to write poetry.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Tod wrote:I'm doing the whole John Roy Stewart thing, I'm off to write poetry.

Girl.....!!!!

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Gerry

Postby Gerry » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:58 pm

Poetry Tod, is the sound of 600 redcoats firing by platoons.

Pulteney's Regiment
The Men in Red

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Johnston, you should know that the 'badge' of a true Jacobite is a beard you could hide a herd of cows in, a Clan McHalford plaid and blue warpaint! You're a pale imitation :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:30 pm

Gerry wrote:Poetry Tod, is the sound of 600 redcoats firing by platoons.

Now that would be one hell of a click.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Andy R wrote:

Girl.....!!!!

And to write to the goverment telling them it was all your idea.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Tod wrote:
Andy R wrote:

Girl.....!!!!

And to write to the goverment telling them it was all your idea.

They won't believe a word because I am great, and they know that if you are trying to dob me in it's only to cover your own tracks.

Or they may come back with a new Beard Tax.....

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:03 pm

Yes they will, they already know you and have been watching you for ages.
When I told them about you all they said was
"oh that trouble maker again".
So basically you've had it. I hope you enjoy the Indies.

Redders

Postby Redders » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Tod wrote:

Would be an ever better BANG!

(Birdoswald was the only platoon click you're getting!)
Last edited by Redders on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Peter
By the next time we meet I will ensure the whole Johnston clan have turned authentic and wear day-glo tartan car rugs, hiking boots and massive "bird nest" beards..... and that includes Shonna and Eilidh!!!!

Tod
You're a poet and I didn't even know it??
Enjoy France
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:49 pm

Redders wrote:
Tod wrote:

Would be an ever better BANG!

(Birdoswald was the only platoon click you're getting!)

I think you've forgotten Belton as a click that will be remembered for ever.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Neil Johnston wrote:Peter
By the next time we meet I will ensure the whole Johnston clan have turned authentic and wear day-glo tartan car rugs, hiking boots and massive "bird nest" beards..... and that includes Shonna and Eilidh!!!!

Tod
You're a poet and I didn't even know it??
Enjoy France
Cheers
Neil

Neil, I can get you cheap "See you Jimmy" bunnets along the Golden Mile - will I bring you one each?

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

peter large

Postby peter large » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:40 pm

[quote="Neil Johnston"]Peter

Neil what a gent you are and I know just the group for you to join .See Scotish Lady The Gunn group . So glad Iam of The Gregorick no day glow tartens here it makes reiving so difficult Slinte Mhor
]

Trust me Iam aMcGREGOR

Scottish Lady

Postby Scottish Lady » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Can I just point out that neither the 'meenister' nor myself, have ever, and never would join the Gunn clan trust or their like. Neil knows we're with the best already - Fraser's Dragoones!

Scottish Lady/The 'Meenister'

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:10 pm

Scottish Lady wrote:Can I just point out that neither the 'meenister' nor myself, have ever, and never would join the Gunn clan trust or their like. Neil knows we're with the best already - Fraser's Dragoones!

I would argue with that, but just because I like arguing.

Castle Urquhart was one of the most enjoyable events I have done for years.

Double thumbs up and a many thanks for organising it.

Rounded up nicely with taking my son to see my Dad's grave in Nairn - priceless.

Now what's for next year?

peter large

Postby peter large » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:54 am

Scottish Lady wrote:Can I just point out that neither the 'meenister' nor myself, have ever, and never would join the Gunn clan trust or their like
Neil knows we're with the best already - Fraser's Dragoones!
Sorry Scotish Lady I was not refering to you being a member of The Bikers do The 45 group . but as a reference for Neil to join in his day glow tarten , and beard that could support a colony of wild life . :oops: :oops:

Trust me Iam aMcGREGOR

Scottish Lady

Postby Scottish Lady » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:25 am

Andy - Glad you enjoyed Urquhart Castle, pity you didn't get to Duart Castle on Mull, that was something else entirely if just a tad wet and windy this year! Keep checking with the website to see what's coming next year. Who are you with?
Peter - no need for apologies, we just have so many really bad groups around up here that we get a bit paranoid at times!

peter large

Postby peter large » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:59 am

Yes we met most of them whilst filming for The Culloden visitor center . Some made me feel ashamed to be a chuckta . And the Gaelic that was being shouted !!!!!was cringe makeing Oh well it all adds to the rich tapestry of life

Trust me Iam aMcGREGOR

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 am

Scottish Lady wrote:Andy - Glad you enjoyed Urquhart Castle, pity you didn't get to Duart Castle on Mull, that was something else entirely if just a tad wet and windy this year! Keep checking with the website to see what's coming next year. Who are you with?

O'Cahan's musket (the tall one as opposed to Mondo - although I think there could be another musketeer left???)

But I did fight with Fraser's on day 1 as I had to look after my son as the wife was off riding with friends from the riding school next to the plastic camp (what was the chance of us camping next to where her friends keep their cuddies??)

Tony Carter (one of yours up in the Broch and my best man) was going, but his car broke down within miles of leaving Fraserburgh. I couldn't go as I was with Tod partaking in a Jockney walkabout in "norff Lundun".

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:22 am

Hi Jude
I do indeed know that you belong to that fine upstanding ( well mostly anyway!!) body of men, women and nuns that are Frasers Dragoones.

Andy is an O'Cahan, for his sins, you would know him from the Culloden filming too.

I too know of some of the Gunn guys and sadly they have adopted the "uniform" of Jacobite enthusiasts rather than the real authentic deal which actually some of them are quite knowledgeable about. It is getting better and the more re-enactors that strive for authenticity, or something approaching it, the more odd the dazzling white and lurid tartan should become.

Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Scottish Lady

Postby Scottish Lady » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:36 am

Not sure that 'upstanding' is the best choice of words Neil, 'slightly leaning' or 'fallen over and sound asleep', especially after one of the cocktail parties would be more appropriate for most of them!

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:42 am

Neil Johnston wrote:Andy is an O'Cahan, for his sins, you would know him from the Culloden filming too.

You're still an O'Cahan aren't you?

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:04 pm

No Andy
These days I'm in with Messrs Netten and Booth aka The "Little and Large" of Gordons.......but we will not say in what department that refers to. :wink:

Of course, I'm always happy to get back to my erse roots in the Brigade if required!!
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

Postby Henrik Bjoern Boegh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Neil,
The Bonnie Prince Charlie badge that I've got is a copy made in 1995 as part of the celebration of the 250 years aniversary of the '45. I don't remember what company made it as I've lost the info-note that came with it... I found mine through ebay by searching for "Bonnie Prince Charlie". I've not been able to find any more of them, and I don't remember what the sellers id was.

Speaking of ebay finds; there is a Bonnie Prince Charlie reproduction coin available. Does anyone know if this one is based on a real coin from the era?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and True

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:31 pm

Henrik
If it is the Westair Reproductions one it is a copy of a sort of commemorative medal rather than a coin I think.
As I recall it is from post 1745 I do have one, in fact now that I think on it I may have 2 different ones a "gold" one with a full length picture of CES and a Jacobite rose on it and a "silver" one with Britannia and bust of CES I would need to check through my stuff.
They used to be freely available at historic sites in Scotland for about £1.50
In fact "silver" is still available for £1.25 direct from company.

I don't think any "Jacobite" coins were issued, notes were planned and Robert Strange engraved the plates for printing them. There is a picture of them in "Edinburgh and the 45", I think, but as far as I know they were never issued....it would only really be necessary after you'd won.

I personally use a mixture of French and late Stuart or Georgian coins in my pouch if I am doing LH stuff........ i.e. it's either what you have brought/been bribed with or what you have taken off dead redcoats. :wink:
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

Postby Henrik Bjoern Boegh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:24 pm

You're quite right, Neil.

So, where would you recommend buying proper coins?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and True

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:05 am

Hi Henrik
Any of the North American sutlers usually have a decent selection.
I got my Georgian/Stuart ones from Jas Townsend www.jastown.com and also from Williamsburg when I was on holiday there.

My French coins were from the gift shop at Versailles......... but maybe a shop/supplier in Canada would have some. Don't know if "colonial" French coins were different to "home" French ones though.
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Return to “1715-1810”