Blackout fabric

Moderator: Moderators

Vicky

Blackout fabric

Postby Vicky » Thu May 17, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to source some blackout fabric to use for schools sessions on the Blitz. Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction. I don't really know what I'm looking for!

Thanks,
Vicky

madjon

Postby madjon » Thu May 17, 2007 2:53 pm

blackouts were made of various things from thick brown paper on a cheap wooden frame, to simply having a thick pair of curtains, there are a couple of advice leaflets issued by the arp on blackout standards, but no light was supposed to be visible from the exterior of the building, fabric in particular? a very thick cloth may be the answer,

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu May 17, 2007 3:01 pm

Thanks for that. I was given the impression that there was a specific type of fabric was sold as 'blackout material', and wondered what that was.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Thu May 17, 2007 5:53 pm

try Russell & Chappel in London, I know they do a lot of the scenic backdrop canvas and fabrics for theatre, and seem to recall they do a blackout fabric.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:34 am

Vicky wrote:Thanks for that. I was given the impression that there was a specific type of fabric was sold as 'blackout material', and wondered what that was.

appreciate am late to this, but there is.

mainly theatrical use - whaelys in yorkshire sell it.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:50 am

Cheers Debs, we're sorted now! (I passed it onto someone else to sort out! :D )

I never thought of trying Whaleys (despite having their price list in front of me on the desk!)

Return to “1900 onwards”