Russian Re-enactment

Moderator: Moderators

madoc

Russian Re-enactment

Post by madoc »

Having cut my teeth on a "modern" Russian Dnepr sidecar outfit, I have just sold it on (goes Saturday). I now have a 1963 plunger framed M62 OHV with sidecar. Same metalwork as the last M72's. Lovely thing.

My girl is thinking about a few horsy things for next years and I was thinking about a few WW2 things, that I could ride it to. I don't want to make it into a "pretend" german BMW and wondered if there were any russian re-enactment groups in this country that I could take it to ?

Is there any good info on the russian emblems needed for the bike .. i'd prepared to do that as I was thinking about red stars already.

Evil Black Alice

Post by Evil Black Alice »

There are a few soviets around here Madoc, I will pass this message on to them. :)
color bruno, labbri grossi e capegli crespi

smertnik

Post by smertnik »

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Or there's us!

http://13guards.bravehost.com the email on there is broken and I haven;t fixed it yet, contact via here.

You guys were at Cliveden - If you'd popped up the Green Drive you'd have found us.

madoc

Post by madoc »

I've looked at the site that is working and it seems like it might cost too much, for something I'll do once or twice a year. Unless there is a "budget" set of minimal kit. I''ll bet a gun is a fortune ...

To be fair, it was an excuse to use the sidecar rig for something apart from shopping and stuff.

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Well a new spec deact PPSh is c.£150 though you casn score them cheaper. A Mosin 91/30 should cost less than that depending on condition and just what accessories come with it - look here http://www.rytonarms.co.uk/site/home.php . Though if you're really bothered there are spare weapons we can lend out.

www.frontofrussia.com is a good, reasonably priced, place to pick up kit.

Yevgeny Ivanovich

Post by Yevgeny Ivanovich »

Essentially you need; (prices approx)

Gymnastiorka tunic - Obr 43 or Obr 35 - £30 - 45
Sharovari breeches - £30
Pilotka (sidecap) £5
Belt - £10
Sapogi boots - £30

Or - on the cheap - and really should only be worn with the Obr 35 gym;

Short boots 'botki' - and putties (Brown putties for RKKA and black ones for NKVD troops - things you learn eh?)

Those are the very, very, basics! So say £100 - £150?

You'd also probably need a pair of pogoni (shoulder boards) for the Obr 43 gym - you'll look like strafbat without them!

You can usually pick up a Flayaga (waterbottle) for about a fiver as well on Ebay.

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

(Brown putties for RKKA and black ones for NKVD troops - things you learn eh?)
Nyet Tovarishch - it's a great deal simpler than that. Black puttees are worn with black low boots as an alternative to sapogi and are intended to mimic the appearance of sapogi. They can be worn by any troops not just NKVD. See this picture of North Front http://www.north-front.ru/Fotos/Luga%20 ... luga-4.htm

When war breaks out the RKKA goes into 'so long as it works' mode and you find brown/khaki puttees and low boots appearing.

Oh, and you do see them in use right to the end, though in diminishing numbers.

Yevgeny Ivanovich

That's exactly what I thought as well about the putties. Black cloth so as to look like sapogi - made sense to me!

However, at Detling I spoke to guy called Volodya who runs the NKVD Rifle Regiment group in Petrozavodsk, and he told me that black putties were just for NKVD troops - but I shall try and investigate further on this one!

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Well, the guys in that picture are top flight RKKA reenactors if they're doing it I'd suggest it's right.

madoc

Post by madoc »

those deact guns are nice ?

Will they fire blanks so you can blaze away in arena displays ?

I note they have the drum magazine MG that mounts to the front of my sidecar.

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Deactivated is what it says, i.e. it will no longer function. Any attempt to turn it into a blank firer is seen as an attempt to reactivate it and will get you five years at Her Majesty's Pleasure :wink: .

Bolt actions can be owned on an FAC1.

For full auto there are custom made blank firers that are OK legislation-wise but I've never seen a DP28 (which is what goes on the sidecar) and Soviet SMGs are usually expensive (I've been quoted £800-£1,000) as they require more work than a Sten or MP40.

Then there are Section 5 hirers - Essentially an RFD who is allowed to hire out the real thing for 'theatrical' purposes. Last price I saw for SMGs were £65 for the weekend including 100 rounds.

madoc

Post by madoc »

I have a shotgun cert and a 'bess in the attic.
The firearms cert is a bit more involved however.

I had a search for blank firers in the UK but didn't come up with much ... where do you get yours from ?

I also found an old ww2reenacting article on the "old" style deac and the "new" style. Sounds like the older ones are far, far better.

Yevgeny Ivanovich

An old spec PPSh is about £500 and a new one is roughly £200.

I found out with horror that some new spec Mosins now have the bolt welded inside the receiver!

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

To get a blank firer either private sale or have it made to order.

I can think of two people who make bfers and only one of them has experience with Soviet weapons though the other says they will be working on a prototype Shpagina soon.

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

If you are suitably well-heeled and can cope with import hassles you can get b/f ppsh from the States for $1700, though getting the 9.3mm rounds may be a problem.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Sasha, I know that (understandably) a lot of people get really annoyed if someone tries to re-enact an SS unit, but is there the same feeling towards people who re-enact NKVD units?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Most of the public (bless 'em) wouldn't know NKVD uniforms if they jumped up and bit them on the bum.

The 13th GRD (my unit) don't depict any of the Organs of State (Terror or otherwise, Border Guards, Convoy Troops, Railway Troops yada yada) other than the armed forces. It's a choice, we concentrate on Red Army so as not to dissipate our efforts.

The 2nd GRD have a small NKVD section within their ranks but they don't depict the rougher end of the organisation (like the SS it was a vast entity doing all sorts of different 'security' roles). Though I feel sure that the distinction is lost on those few members of the public who do actually recognise the uniform.

Even when you explain the vast majority of the public have a Cold War tendency to see them as 'Comedy Soviet' though. Which is disturbing when you know just what the organisation got up to.

So, to finish, no there doesn't seem to be any ill feeling towards NKVD reenactment though there are no specific units as such. I honestly feel it's a result of ignorance though.

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Oh, John I wouldn't try to get one of them through Customs. It almost certainly counts as a Section 5 under UK legislation.

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Sasha wrote:Oh, John I wouldn't try to get one of them through Customs. It almost certainly counts as a Section 5 under UK legislation.
Fair enough. I would certainly do my homework before contemplating any such import. They do look nice though.

How do PFCs rate in the scheme of things?
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Sasha wrote:Even when you explain the vast majority of the public have a Cold War tendency to see them as 'Comedy Soviet' though. Which is disturbing when you know just what the organisation got up to.
:?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

John

Most don't rate them saying they don't actually produce a lot of noise, though I'm speaking from a position of ignorance never having seen one fire.

On the practical side they do seem like a pain as you have to recover all your 'rounds' after firing.

Alan - I know, I know. We just seem unable to convince people that this Tom Clancy-esque caricature of the Organs of State Terror being stupid thugs is wrong.

Kot

Post by Kot »

Sasha wrote:
For full auto there are custom made blank firers that are OK legislation-wise but I've never seen a DP28 (

I asked Steve G about the possibility of a B/F'ng DP28 unfortunately the only thing holding him back was the VCR bill.
If it isn't broken fix it till it is!
"Going down to the pub is not yet an Olympic sport, but beach volleyball is."