New to WW1 Re-enactment

Moderator: Moderators

ThomasCorbett

New to WW1 Re-enactment

Postby ThomasCorbett » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello,

Over the last year I have been building up a complete set of WW1 kit for the Kings Own Shropshire Light Infantry, due to being from Shrewsbury and having studied the regiment for a long time. I'm now in a position of having nearly all the kit I need including weaponry, webbing and most of the little things. However I would like to find a group which i could join for the 100th annversity which wouldn't mind a Young KSLI officer. Have been doing a lot of googling and not found one so i would like your advise on how to proceed. Also looking for chances to work in France and Belgium to help with my military history studies as a historical interpreter (have done lots of those events before with the SK).

Thomas

czartank

Re: New to WW1 Re-enactment

Postby czartank » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Bit of a tricky one this, as most British WW1 groups are regiment specific and are really looking for ORs rather than officers- the problem with portraying an officer is that the ORs have to interact with you in the correct fashion; you cannot be one of the lads on display.

I would suggest that you contact a group close to you geographically and see how you get on

On les Aura

7thLeicesters

Postby 7thLeicesters » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Bit problematic as czartank mentions - closest geographically would be the Warwicks, although as the name suggests you'd have to re-badge as Royal Warwickshire, and downgrade to private. A couple of groups may let you come straight in as an Officer, but again they're regiment specific

We are a circus Squadron, we are old '22'
And binge and rev and joyride is all we're fit to do!

abaddon1974

Postby abaddon1974 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:36 pm

I am in a similar situation myself, I am very nearly there with kit for the Lincolnshire Regiment, however I have gone OR so would not be expecting to portray an officer. Unfortunately the only multi regiment group I am aware of seems to have gone belly up which is a great shame.
At the moment I intend to do something with my kit even if it is only school visits in the local area.

Craig

7thLeicesters

Postby 7thLeicesters » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

I was originally in a multi-unit group which was great, but I can highly reccommend joining a single unit group even if it isn't your 'pet' regiment, as I have done - there are a lot of advantages to this, and although what's on your cap and shoulders is different, you still get to be with like minded people and all other advantages of a group (ie accomodation, equipment to use etc), and there's usually at least one opportunity a year to portray your preferred unit, i'm looking forward to portraying my great-grandfather's unit at a Gallipoli memorial service this year

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Another option would be to keep your officers kit for 'mess' evenings and get involved in an established group as a private. A few of our lads get the officers kit out in the evenings.
If we didn't have some sort of structure then we would be surrounded by officers and no humble privates. Just look at how many guys want to be Richard Sharpe.
If you are interested in being a Gordon highlander then drop me a pm.

Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

abaddon1974

Postby abaddon1974 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm

I don't want to be an officer, no attraction for me but to each their own. But I do love my infantry officers sword.

What I really want to be is a Tankie which would keep my Lincolnshire link but I have never seen an appropriate vehicle come up for sale. :D

Craig

ThomasCorbett

Postby ThomasCorbett » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks chaps for the info, i'll have a look out for a OR's tunic and some more bits of 1908 webbing. Can anyone recommend a group which is activitily planning events for 2014-18 in France and Belgium. Any further ideas on chances to work in France and Belgium as a historical interpreter? :)

Thomas

7thLeicesters

Postby 7thLeicesters » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 am

abaddon1974 wrote:I don't want to be an officer, no attraction for me but to each their own. But I do love my infantry officers sword.

What I really want to be is a Tankie which would keep my Lincolnshire link but I have never seen an appropriate vehicle come up for sale. :D

Craig

Great War Society do Tankie too, occasionally get the chance to display with the War Horse replica, did last year and are doing so again this year if interested

7thLeicesters

Postby 7thLeicesters » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 am

ThomasCorbett wrote:Thanks chaps for the info, i'll have a look out for a OR's tunic and some more bits of 1908 webbing. Can anyone recommend a group which is activitily planning events for 2014-18 in France and Belgium. Any further ideas on chances to work in France and Belgium as a historical interpreter? :)

Thomas

Pretty much all of them i'd imagine!

czartank

Postby czartank » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 am

Most groups have had their calender for 2014 booked up for some time

On les Aura

7thLeicesters

Postby 7thLeicesters » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:10 pm

All major British groups I'm aware of are going to be in Belgium in the Mons area in August 2014

450 Martini

Postby 450 Martini » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm quite fortunate to be going over twice in 2014, mons and the Royal naval division march to antwerp.
For midland based groups there are several that specalise in first world war. they are

Birmingham Pals: they represent South stffords, Royal engineers tunnelers, RAMC and German Infantry, and hve acsess to the Whittington Barracks Trench system.
http://www.birminghampals.com/
The Bluejckets: they represent the Hawke battlion, 63rd Royal naval division, and Royal Marines and victorian stuff

http://neptune.servers.rbl-mer.misp.co.uk/~thebluej/

Tommy Atkins society: they do Leciester Regiment, both world
wars.
http://tommy-atkins.org.uk/

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 am

Sounds great, what is happening over there?

Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

czartank

Postby czartank » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Lots of events around Mons and Ypres, later in the year there will be events at Antwerp; I expect more events to appear over time.

On les Aura

Rifleman

Postby Rifleman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 am

Thomas, you might want to look at the Rifles Living History Society.
We portray the Rifle regiments and Light Infantry battalions of the Great War.
Usually Rifle Brigade, Kings Royal Rifle Corps and associated Territorials.
As KSLI you would fit right in with what we do. The drill is totally different to heavy infantry among other things.

Take a look and see what you think. http://www.riflebrigade.org.uk

We will be in France and Belgium attending events and are planning to go to Gallipoli in 2015.

We are based in the Midlands and the Southern Midlands and South East.

Steve

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 pm

1st Battalion The Warwicks are recruiting men (not officers)

http://www.thewarwicks1418.com/

If you fancy it?

Kate

cheshiretommy

Postby cheshiretommy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 pm

And for more choice - and a light infantry unit as well - there's the Durham Pals doing 18th batt DLI - a Kitchener unit.
Growing section in Cheshire around the Chester area. http://durhampals.weebly.com/index.html
I’m in Chester, feel free to PM.

Regards
Gary

Return to “1900 onwards”