Help with WWI equipment please

Moderator: Moderators

julesheath

Help with WWI equipment please

Postby julesheath » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:59 am

Hi, I'm a History teacher and our school are in the process of building WWI trench. I would also like to put together some equipment, in particular a British soldier's uniform. I'm new to this and not a reenacator, so any advice would be greatly recieved eg where to buy what.
Cheers

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Help with WWI equipment please

Postby John Waller » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Couple of mates have bought from http://www.khakidevil.co.uk/ recently and are happy with their stuff.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

General Ignorance

Postby General Ignorance » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Finding kit to buy will be an expensive excersise, it may be worth trying to find a WW1 reenactor who would be prepared to lend stuff. Some will a lot won't.

As far as buying is concerned, then this is probably a sensible place to start.

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/Products.aspx?cat=754

Hope this is of some use.

Mark F

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Where about is the trench? We might be able to help. Are you the guys in Warwickshire? I think our group may already be in touch?

Kate

julesheath

Postby julesheath » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the responses, have been looking at both of those websites. The trench is at a school in Solihull.

Does anyone have an opinion on the replica Lee Enfields that are sold on the Soldier of Fortune site?

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:38 pm

Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31633

If funds run to it you would be better off getting a deactivated SMLE. Could your local museum service help out? Many have handling / loan collections.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Difficult to doa top 3 suppliers in order as they are all v good but Steve Kiddle at Pegasus Militaria, Taff Gillingham at Khaki Devil and Dickie Knight at Khaki on Campaign will do top notch kit you will will have no arguments with and will last forever. Most other suppliers are touch and go and you need to know what to look for on the fine details. SOF are very hit and miss, think I send back nearly as much as I keep.....

As for the rifle, I do have something that might interest you, pm me for more info.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1900 onwards”