Honest Opinion Wanted (I know that I will get it here)

Moderator: Moderators

450 Martini

Re: Honest Opinion Wanted (I know that I will get it here)

Postby 450 Martini » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 pm

A few mates of mine in the Birmingham pals several years ago had a few of the Isapores modified to look like mark 3* issue rifles it involved fitting old style muzzle caps, replacment magazines and a few other alterations, the problem is the parts are quite expensive and can be a logistical nightmare if most are using .303 and you have to find ammunition for 1 or 2 7.62 chambered rifles. Generally we have re-equipped with Period mark III rifles, My personal weapon is a LSA 1916 Mark III with a mint new barrel fitted. On Dating i don't think the manufacture date matters that much a 1930's SMLE will look identical to a first world war issue one (all ww1 rifles in goverment store will have been refurbished at some point)

As a note small arms used by British and empire forces in the first world war was never quite standadised, up to 1916 territorial and reservist battalions still carred the boer war issue "long" lee Enfield and p-1888 bayonet, canadian troops carried the straight -pull ross rifle. Later in the war the mauser actioned, American built P14 rifle was used to arm regulars and snipers.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Re: Honest Opinion Wanted (I know that I will get it here)

Postby acecat999 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:28 pm

450 Martini wrote:As a note small arms used by British and empire forces in the first world war was never quite standadised, up to 1916 territorial and reservist battalions still carred the boer war issue "long" lee Enfield and p-1888 bayonet, canadian troops carried the straight -pull ross rifle. Later in the war the mauser actioned, American built P14 rifle was used to arm regulars and snipers.

I'd be interested if you can find any pictures of canadians carrying a ross, most canadians carried the standard SMLE.
or any of a p14 in a trench.............
Both were disliked due to their unsuitability in muddy conditions and small magazine capacity

Nearly all of the 1,100,000 p14s made went straight into stores although they were issued to snipers in ww2 prior to the development of the no4T. Contemporary photos of soldiers using them prior to that are normally chaps like the Estonian Army the immediate post war period who wore similar uniforms to the British. (if you wanted to list all the rifles used by the British Army thenyou can actually find pictures of British and American Troops using Moisin Nagants made by Remington during the post war intervention in Russia, very rare and sought after are the Remington Nagants.)

The Canadians carried the Ross until it clogged up with mud and stopped working, which was normally about 60 seconds after arriving in a trench, when they threw it in a puddle and picked up a SMLE. Whole Brigades of canadians had them taken away before they got anywhere near the front. A few Snipers may have kept them. Rosses were issued to the Home guard in ww2 together with p14s, p17s etc. The Ross was already being derided by the canadians as early as 1906 but defence procurement backhanders kept it in service along with the false perception that there was a shortage of SMLEs

Can't see why having 7.62 blank is a problem though .... Its easier to find and cheaper than .303, John Oxlade runs a considerable number of SMLEs converted to 7.62 for this very reason

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Return to “1900 onwards”