WW1 and the hundredth anniversary

Moderator: Moderators

spydde

WW1 and the hundredth anniversary

Postby spydde » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:58 am

Being quite a new group in the period, it is interesting to see the sudden interest at a very high level in the First world war, I noticed it during my recent search for funding. I have recently been in touch with the National lottery heritage fund, and found them highly interested in funding serious projects in our period, big hint.

Might be a good idea to get all the groups together to prove a united response,whilst avoiding the pitfalls of major societies?

Any thoughts? there seems to be a lot of money around suddenly, and I would rather bring this anniversary to the public in the best way possible

made a note in my diary on the way here it simply said 'b**ger'

sally
Post Knight

Re: WW1 and the hundredth anniversary

Postby sally » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:05 am

thats very interesting, I'm working up some WW1 displays for my own repertoire at the moment and hadn't thought that the anniversary might mean there were potential funding opportunities out there. Where would I look to see what other funding options are available? It would be good to be able to expand what I can offer and funding might mean I could take extra material into schools, museums etc without having to charge for it.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 am

From what the Prime Minister suggested yesterday, it sounds to me as though the Government do indeed want to commerate the centenary of the actual war. However (and as someone who collects for the Poppy Appeal, I do feel rather ashamed thinking this) July 2014 will be about a year before the next general election (and it has been proven time and again that a national event boosts the government). I am hoping (in my position as a community councillor in western Wales) to be able to ensure that this part of Wales is able to commerate those who died in the "Great War"

spydde

Postby spydde » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Sally this is the first point of contact
http://www.hlf.org.uk/HowToApply/whatwe ... HgQ2G_oSaQ

The paperwork is quite extensive, and I think the pre application is the best way forward as you have the whole thing assessed beforehand, and suggestions are made that make the application feasible.

as a guideline the grants are split into groupings, for small projects sums up to £10,000 are straightforward. but it is still a lot of paperwork, and you really have to fight the case.

WW1 is identified already as an area for funding.
anything involving community or schools education are prominent
anything directly related to your own area is really sought after.

We were lucky in that our regiment was under researched and worked throughout our area, so came up on all the boxes with ticks

I found it interesting to find out what they will fund, and how far the envelope can be pushed.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Was surprised in the interest we received over the weekend doing Great War, a lot of it from people who have other eras as their main portrayal.

Might be worth us old farts starting a sticky thread with recommended kit links?

K

spydde

Postby spydde » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 pm

I have an extended kit list for cavalry kit, there is a lot of infantry suppliers in the list, there is no doubt the more you pay the better the kit you get though, but I have put in it a range of suppliers
it is on our facebook forum page, I am happy to add anyone onto our list that has an interest

https://www.facebook.com/groups/D.squadron/

AndyandHelen

Postby AndyandHelen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:17 am

I once made a successful bid when it was limited to 5k. Quite stressful in a way when spending the money. In order to be a success make sure all the paperwork is in good order, that your constitution and group rules are good and effective, above all that your bank accounts are open and accurate. Good luck!

nick19thind

Postby nick19thind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 pm

I was impressed by the 1914-21 Group's Austrian impression at Detling (same army my great grandfather served in), but sadly i don't have the cash to do WWI :(

History discussion website: http://www.allempires.com/forum/

czartank

Postby czartank » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:40 pm

It's not as expensive as you think, we can lend you kit to get you started.

On les Aura

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:27 am

I think that most groups understand the cost of getting involved in a new period or being new to re-enactment/living history.
We carry spare kit to kit out three people from head to toe. As people gather their own kit they need less of the groups.
Do not be put off by cost on its own a good group will help you get you established.
We all know of traders and dealers that can give you a good price on most of your kit.

Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

spydde

Postby spydde » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:24 pm

As a troop, we are slowly gathering spare kit that can be borrowed for new members, there is a realisation of cost in everything we do, and I would hope that we can help potential members kit wise. Be it long term loan, or help with kit purchase.

The biggest problem I have found so far with kit is the Authenti police, the problem is all of the kit recommendations always seem to be the most expensive options, and to dissuade them you spend an increasing amount of time proving your point.

when you are on the back of a horse five feet up,does the thickness of the wool in my jacket matter that much?

mind you we do have approaching two spare sets of uniform and one set of spare weapons. Of course this is a play off between making the sport more accessible and having troop kit (tents and living history kit) because the cost of carrying this has delayed the purchase of unit camping kit.

Of course on the flip side is it is valuable and attractive when loaned, so far having lost a helmet and various small horse tack items, that I have to chase now to get back.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Thickness of wool? No , it doesn't matter. Safety and ability to launder is also an issue, but things like webbing? No room for leeway to us authenti-geeks I'm afraid. So much easier to save for the best or go without. There's some crud out there that's silly prices.

We always have bits to loan out, most groups do but most of us have made the expensive mistakes so it's easier to let others know not to do the same.

K

spydde

Postby spydde » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Quality and authenticity aren't the same thing, of course with horses involved safety takes priority.
when the best material stake precedent.
Steve

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:52 pm

I think the general concensus is that the best SD out there is also the best quality and most authentic!

spydde

Postby spydde » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 am

Bit like buying a stereo, you can spend and spend and get better, but there is a point where the improvement is not outweighed by the cost.
I have to admit that there are total superstars when buying kit. We all know the names.

for entry level, when on a budget, getting kitted up is the priority, there is a fine line that needs walking, sometimes buying kit with the view of upgrading when the opportunity arises whilst spending on the hard to get items.
Of course each unit has it's own problems, with cav the problem is that sometimes you have to use 'original', as repro is impossible to get hold of. Kitting out a larger unit often means, either buying what is available (saddles. breeches,leather work in general are all difficult in the extreme) when it comes up on ebay, Or else buy what is available.

most original kit is getting more competitive to get hold of (expensive), then if course, when you get it, what is right? the deeper the research goes the more I find that kit standards, well they aren't.
just because something was made in 1915 doesn't mean it is the right piece for your situation. Have to admit to having a number of 'b**ger' moments when I find that something we have been using as cavalry isn't yeomanry,especially when it cost a fortune in the first place.

simple bottom line. Money is hard to come buy, is it worthwhile not being ready until 2020, or go with what we have,looking as good as we can? Hard enough getting members without slapping them with a £1000 bill at the start of the hobby that they are trying out.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:45 pm

I think the best way is to portray the norm. We all know that there are rarities and odd photos, but we aim to show 'Tommy Average' as it were.

K

spydde

Postby spydde » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:17 pm

I think we are all getting to the same point.
Standardise where possible and the better the equipment the more you expect to pay, but make sure your standards are right. If you have the money get the best.
Realise that there is a leeway in equipment and if stuck be prepared to make it yourself

Steve

spydde

Postby spydde » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 pm

Of course it does help our situation as the webbing, which as you point out, has to be good, isn't used as heavily by cavalry, mind you all those bandoliers makes it a swings and roundabouts moment

Return to “1900 onwards”