Yugoslav Partizans

Moderator: Moderators

Avalon Adam

Yugoslav Partizans

Postby Avalon Adam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 am

Can anyone enlighten me? Has anyone done Yugoslav WW2 Partizans in the UK. I cn find no reference to this very interesting period being covered in living history and it seems like a very do -able period. There is plenty of information on Partizans in the Many Slovene museums.

I love my country but fear my government

Sasha

Re: Yugoslav Partizans

Postby Sasha » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 am

No-one has done specifically Yugoslav partisans that I am aware of. I have seen groups doing French Resistance (of widely varying quality) and Dutch Resistance (usually better) and the various RKKA groups in the UK - I'm a member of one - have done partisan portrayals in the past.

There are only a few things I'd warn against:

1. Looking like an 'Oxfam Fusilier'. Don't buy old clothes cheap out of a charity shop. Read up on civilian styles of the period and area you're looking at and add in the amount of army equipment they might have used. Then shop around.

2. On the point of army equipment don't use it as an excuse to festoon yourself with 'captured' German equipment*. Do the reading and looking at photographs then err on the side of caution.

3. War is a vile and brutal business in any period and the resistance/partisan wars of WW2 are at the nastier end of the spectrum. Watch Idi i Smotri (Come and See) and Flammen and Citronen. Again do the reading so you've got the knowledge about your chosen portrayal and how it fits in with the competing factions and collaborators around it. You will get questions about this.

Apart from that I hope you make a good fist of it.

*edit: about the only time I can think of that you can get away with this would be an Armija Krajowa unit in the Warsaw Uprising.

"We know what the world thinks of us...but, every now and then, when trouble comes knocking at the door, we're good people to know." Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 pm

French Resistance (of widely varying quality)

cant agree more. I did have a french resistance bloke greet me an event with 'allo allo' a while back, to which I promptly retorted goodbye goodbye.

I had to do some resistance work a year or so back so researched it reasonably well so know the pitfalls. Getting a decent coat, trousers, shirt and hat will set you back about £400 and its VERY regionalised.

Oh and try and at least speak a tiny bit of the lingo, whatever the country is. No Brit was dropped behind enemy lines to link up with a friendly resistance unit being only able to ask the way to the station and say how nice the bread wine and cheese is so thats no excuse either.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Alf Webb, ex-SOE and his mates didn't speak a word of Serbian or Croatian when they were sent to what would later become Yugoslavia. Mind you they did know how to blow stuff up and had people on board to stop the Communist and non-Communist anti-Royalists from killing each other.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “1900 onwards”