WW1 Cavalry

Moderator: Moderators

Maenoferren

WW1 Cavalry

Postby Maenoferren » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:14 pm

I am starting to look into recreating a trooper of the Northumberland Hussars for the first world war - with a possible move to include the boer war too. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for kit amnufacturers etc. As I do cavalry anyway I have a couple of military saddles so it is the troopers kit I am after. THought I might as well have a go at my family's wartime unit. Strange but he was enlisted 15 miles from where I now live.

Cheers
Maen

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:47 pm

Seeing as your already cavalry, I hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs!

Anyhow, a member/s of "The Troop" already does WW1 cavalry - perhaps contacting them and seeing where they got their kit from might be a good idea?

Maenoferren

Postby Maenoferren » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:00 pm

Cheers your lordship :D - Will give it a bash

private Shorthouse

Postby private Shorthouse » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:33 am

Maenoferren,
Our old friend Trenchy has founded a web site specifically for us Great War living historians. In the past few days a trooper from the 4th Dragoons has been posting there.
I'm only a footslogger, but I'm sure a fellow Donkey walloper could help.
The web address is:
http://s2.forumforfree.com/index.php?mf ... ker&actidx

Good luck . Ian

Maenoferren

Postby Maenoferren » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:51 pm

I tried the forum link but couldnt get anywhere - it kept re-routeing to the main page - any ideas would be greatly appreciated :?:
Cheers
Maen

private Shorthouse

Postby private Shorthouse » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:10 am

Mmmm?
Try typing forumforfree.com into Google this should get you to the home page. Go into directory, click on IPB Server 2 directory.Click on hobbies.
Alter the index to Sort by name of board in ascending order and it should be at the top of page 14.
Cheero Ian.

Maenoferren

Many thanks

Postby Maenoferren » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:16 pm

Thanks Private Shorthouse - found it with your able assistance.

Warden_D

Postby Warden_D » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:05 am

Ohh ohh time to promote by old WW1horse website

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/wwihorse

RTB

Postby RTB » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:42 pm

Nice site warden-d,
I shall look at it in detail soon. I beleive the adjustalbe side panels where about to be brought in, however WW1 got in the way! We have several UP (1912) saddles, and ride, even when not doing an event, in the British milatry head kit. It's such a great piece of gear.
We do an image of great war cavalry, and have about four complete sets of kit (enough for a section), and would like to expose this image more often.
We are based in Wigan, however I can't find "milk and beans" in my atlas!
PM me if your interested in teaming up/training etc.

Check out our website www.horsesthroughhistory.com and go to other images, some of which may interest you.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Chris

Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

RTB

Postby RTB » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:20 pm

milk and beans.........milton keynes?

I'll get me trenchcoat....

Maenoferren

Postby Maenoferren » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:30 pm

Some nice horse there RTB - Was looking at a fell for my new horse, but have settled for a 15.2 clydesdale cross. Tried an overgrown highland - but we didnt get on. So ho-pefully this weekend I Will have horse number 7.

HAve already got your website bookmarked warden D. HAve had it for a good while.
A very good site dedicated to the military horse.

I have a couple of U.P's one I use for the re-enactment riding the other is an officers saddle which needs a fair bit of TLC
:shock:
Cheers
MAen

Warden_D

Postby Warden_D » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:40 am

Hello Chaps,

Thanks for the kind comments about WW1 Horse, the site is really showing its age and if I ever get the chance I would like to update its appearence.

Yes Milk & Beans is Milton Keynes and I have always been keen to do a cavalry impression, but I have become a big girlie wus, since our GG put me in hospital and I rarely ride now, Now if you do a dismounted section, I am your man.

Note to self must make an effort in the closed season to get back on a GG.

Chin chin

Warden D

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:54 am

Nice site! Not really looked at WW1 cav before (am a 15th C peep meself) but very nice!

Maenoferren, can recommend clydesdale x - what's he/she x'ed with? I have a clyde/Irish Cob cross (15.2hh) and he's a nice, sensible chunky chap.

Do you think an "all period" equestrian forum on here would be a good idea????

Warden_D

Postby Warden_D » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:56 pm

Our horse is an Irish Cob, after he was sold to us, we found out he had a bad back which we managed to get fixed, but then he would not let anyone ride him, scared that we might hurt him.

So we sent him to be horse whispered, £1000 later and he will let my wife ride him, but he hates me and I just can't get on him.

Now a Clyesdale / Suffolk / Shire horse, these are my kind of beasts. Large, gentle and almost bomb proof.

Warden D

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:17 pm

With backs and muscles its a bit of a funny one...I had a TB a few years ago, and he managed to lame himself arsing about in the paddock. Got a "back person" (who was highly recommended) out and they did their stuff, but he cam back lamer than when he went to them!

I suppose it's like us; if you have a muscle out for months, years on end even then it gets put back in it feels odd, even hurts. Didn't get a chance to see if it was a long-term cure as the loan period expired and he went back to his owner.

Cor 7 horses, I wish! One is hard enough although we've had two in the past and managed then.

RTB

Postby RTB » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:51 pm

We have seven horses, the 3 larger of them are all cob crosses. Seren is a clydesdale/cob cross but is only the size of a section D. She's very powerful though!

Warden D, if you know anywhere that does Great War re-enactment, and would like a mounted section, could you let me know? We have four full horse kits and two complete uniforms. Even if we did a half-section mounted display (sword, lance, and revolver sound good?) we could do a static display with you if you liked. No riding involved.

I like the images of one guy holding three horses and the other three guys prone pos. shooting at the hun.
The other is of a trooper dismounted shooting the rifle over the horses back end.

It's just a pity that we had the uniforms made up for one job two years ago, and haven't had them out since!

Any thoughts?

I shall be away untill Monday, I have a small problem with the English at Bannock burn......

Chris

Maenoferren

Postby Maenoferren » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:21 pm

Thanks for the response peeps.

We are not sure what the new horse is crossed with, But he seems part clydesdale as he has 2 white socks a big blaze and a white belly.

MY other horse a 16.2 clydesadale cros has a back problem which we have struggled with for 3+ years. He was sold to us with a back injury (that the Vet didnt pick up) :cry: (he was probably drugged) although the back injury was eventually sorted out - the poor soul now has psychological problems related to the injury - so all in all he is in no mood for riding - he was a rescue case and is now being retired to live out his days as a very big pet. Sod a hamster I have a pet horse!!!
Sounds ver familiar to yours Warden D
Our horse is an Irish Cob, after he was sold to us, we found out he had a bad back which we managed to get fixed, but then he would not let anyone ride him, scared that we might hurt him.

When we say we have 7 horses 4 of them are shetlands which Esther AKA BOUDICCA drives. THe seventh arrives this weekend - all things working out.

Chickun - I had a bad experience with a overgrown highland which knocked my confidence - It was restored by Alfie (the new one) - I even got on him and had a pootle about. And he was a very chunky chap. hadnt been ridden for 2 months and hardly noticed my weight. So he seems the chap for me

I like the idea of a horsey forum bit too
Anyway off to count my horsey pennies
Cheers
S

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Yeah horsey forum would be good 'n practical.

Our chap is getting exceptionally wooley at the moment and if we let him he'd have loads of feathers. He's got easilyl the biggest canon bones that I have seen on a horse that size; so much so that we had to send the "full" size tendon boots for him back.

Maenoferren

Postby Maenoferren » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:24 pm

Well eventually got my new horse. THis is him just out of the trailer :D
Attachments
Alfie1.JPG
THe new horse

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:38 am

Very nice looking chap, well up to weight. Bet he looks good under tack.

How old is he?

Maenoferren

Postby Maenoferren » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:12 pm

He has just turned 6 - so should have him for a very long time

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:04 pm

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great time with him. Currently working on ways to get a 2nd one......

STEENIE

Re: WW1 Cavalry

Postby STEENIE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Here is my Charger The Brooklet 16:3 hhs TB dark bay in his field kit.

Starting from the front:
Brown Set with PMR bit
picket bright chain
original George V Breast plate
Officer Wallets
British Army Great War water proof
Staff Yeomanry and Colonial Saddle
P1912 Officers sword in field scabbard orginal George V
set on a SYC horseshoe case with sword frog carrying 2 shoes and nails
brown cavalry blanket
Off-side, Officers map case wallet
British Army Cavalry Warm Great Coat
Attachments
Brooklet1.jpg
Brooklet1.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 10339 times
Brooklet 4.jpg
Brooklet 4.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 10339 times

We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 am

Might be worth talking to Waller's from the Snot about kit as they venture out into WWI (and other periods) from time to time. Some pics at http://www.wallershorse.co.uk/index7.htm

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Here are a couple of pics of cavalry tacked up during the period of the Great War
Attachments
post-48147-1252617798.jpg
post-48147-1252617798.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 10296 times
CAVALRY.jpg
CAVALRY.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 10296 times

We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Here are a couple of photos of cavalry during the Great War period.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:43 pm

John Norris at Solent Saddlery can probably help you out with bits and bobs, if not all. Decent stuff comes up from time to time. I even have a few bits of Prnicess Di's Grandads tack from the sales at Althorpe

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Paul Allison is great for well made kit. He made the bridle my horse above is wearing. Infact, he made a ship load of them for The Northamptonshire Yeomanry (mounted). He was Household Cavalry and knows his stuff. He is also reasonably priced. Here is his web site:

http://www.pasaddlery.co.uk/

AdamCee

Postby AdamCee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 pm

We've been running for almost 2 years now and our 2012 season has been a pretty good one. We find ourselves stepping up a gear for 2013 and I'm keen to introduce the machine gun section for those less keen on actually riding, so we're always looking for potential Essex Yeomen. our web presence is http://www.yeomangreatwar.com to those interested.

Return to “1900 onwards”