Royal Naval Division 1914-18?

Moderator: Moderators

Foxe
Post Centurion

Royal Naval Division 1914-18?

Postby Foxe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:52 pm

So, with the centenary fast approaching, I'm interested in getting in on the WW1 act, but as a salty dog/wet fish I'm mostly interested in 'Winston's little army'. Are there any groups portraying the Royal Naval Division of the period? Or failing that, would there be enough interest from others to make something of it?

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Re: Royal Naval Division 1914-18?

Postby Lord Byron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Foxe wrote:So, with the centenary fast approaching, I'm interested in getting in on the WW1 act, but as a salty dog/wet fish I'm mostly interested in 'Winston's little army'. Are there any groups portraying the Royal Naval Division of the period? Or failing that, would there be enough interest from others to make something of it?

There is a group already in existence, but I can't remember their name or find a link despite having seen one somewhere recently... it's called something like the Blue Jackets... :|

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Lord Byron wrote:
Foxe wrote:So, with the centenary fast approaching, I'm interested in getting in on the WW1 act, but as a salty dog/wet fish I'm mostly interested in 'Winston's little army'. Are there any groups portraying the Royal Naval Division of the period? Or failing that, would there be enough interest from others to make something of it?

There is a group already in existence, but I can't remember their name or find a link despite having seen one somewhere recently... it's called something like the Blue Jackets... :|

It is,And they're based (or were)in Leicestershire...Do Victorian stuff as well...........Think they had a website...........
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:14 pm

I had a great uncle in it. He was killed in 1919. In Russia I beleive. (Or at least that's part of the family mythology.)

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:15 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I had a great uncle in it. He was killed in 1919. In Russia I beleive. (Or at least that's part of the family mythology.)

Do you have his name? Should be relatively easy to confirm if he was killed on active service, as in theory he should be commemorated by the CWGC and it can be searched on their online database:

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

7thLeicesters

Postby 7thLeicesters » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:59 pm

steve stanley wrote:
Lord Byron wrote:

It is,And they're based (or were)in Leicestershire...Do Victorian stuff as well...........Think they had a website...........
Steve

Certainly are, saw Nick, the guy that runs it, at a photoshoot for the Soldiers, Sailors & Airmen Forces Association couple of weeks back, their website is down but if you want to send me a PM i'll give you his e-mail address

We are a circus Squadron, we are old '22'
And binge and rev and joyride is all we're fit to do!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 pm

I've been told he used a false identity, not surprising as he had brothers in the IRA and in prison at the same time.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I've been told he used a false identity, not surprising as he had brothers in the IRA and in prison at the same time.

Even a false name should be listed by the CWGC website, with a reference to their true name (if known) being made.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Interesting stuff on here http://www.jackclegg.com/

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Jon Das Reich

Postby Jon Das Reich » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 am

The wifes great uncle was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Howe Bn. R.N. Div. was killed 13/11/1916 aged 20 and is buried at ANCRE BRITISH CEMETERY, BEAUMONT-HAMEL.

Our Flag Is Going forward Too

Return to “1900 onwards”