WWII uniform suppliers

Moderator: Moderators

Daniel Ezra

WWII uniform suppliers

Postby Daniel Ezra » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:02 am

Who sells off-the-peg second world war British, or American uniforms?

It looks I am finally going to take the plunge into WWII, and I want to do Free French Foreign Legion, who were equiped by the British, untill 19944, and by the Americans for the Italian and French campaigns.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:23 am

http://legionetranger.org/links.html

But I would caution that you take advice from experienced WWII re-enactors as quality and accuracy of kit varies considerably.

Ask at http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Daniel Ezra

Postby Daniel Ezra » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 am

I know Sutlers do do WWII, but i thought there was another firm. Not "Soldiers of Fortune", but somthing like that.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:19 am

Daniel Ezra wrote:I know Sutlers do do WWII

I would definitely advise caution!

Are you thinking of Pegasus or What Price Glory?

Seriously, ask on the WWII site.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

7thLeicesters

Postby 7thLeicesters » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 am

Pegasus Militaria is by far the best - made to order though, but at least you're getting quality.

What Price Glory stuff is made for 'modern' people, the jacket is too long and goes down towards the modern waist ie above the hips - Soldier of Fortune is WPG stuff just imported

We are a circus Squadron, we are old '22'
And binge and rev and joyride is all we're fit to do!

fangorn

Postby fangorn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:00 pm

pegasus, when you can get the stuff is good, if you are of the larger build, then go for whatpriceglory in the states, or for speed, in the uk,but at a price, soldier of fortune in wales, jerry lee at what price glory normally does package deals which work out really well :D

owt else just ask, oh, and for insignia, try monty's locker,dereks stuff is generally spot on !

andy

ww2 mickey taker

"And upon taking the oath to St Lazarus, he did raise his hand, and lo, it did drop off ! ! "

nix

Postby nix » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 pm

for british kit try sabre sales in portsmouth

im like a bad case of genital warts.
im an irritable c?@t ,
that keeps on coming back,
but i grow on you

Dannolad

Re: WWII uniform suppliers

Postby Dannolad » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:37 pm

SOF Military do sell original and repro kit:

Linky

Some of it can be a little steep.

If you live anywhere near Newbury, there is a clothing barn just off the A4 that occasionally gets battledress and boots that turn up in the clothing recycling and they sell and hire.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:01 pm

SoF are not particularly reccomended. A lot of the time you have to re-purchase some time later as it doensn't look good next to other repro.

Pegasus, at a push WPG. What sort of kit are you going for? Battledress or KD?

I know some decent dealers for French stuff too.

K

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Miss Costello wrote:SoF are not particularly reccomended. A lot of the time you have to re-purchase some time later as it doensn't look good next to other repro.

Pegasus, at a push WPG. What sort of kit are you going for? Battledress or KD?

I know some decent dealers for French stuff too.

K

You cant really make a statement like that..It all depends what gear someone is after.As ever with all traders some stock they sell is good and some not so good.For example at the moment they sell the best off the peg jumpsuits in the country.You have to use different traders for different things.As said previously you are better off asking on the ww2 forum as there will be people on there who can direct you to the best traders for the gear you need.. :wink:

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 am

Sorry, I feel I can make that statement! I've spent over 12 years buying the kit! If you ask on the WW2 forum you'll get the same answer. The jumpsuits are ok, but not the best. It depends how authentic you want to be. I assume that doing FFL he's going to need either Battledress or KD, both of which from SoF are a waste of money.
K

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 pm

No you cant lol...Sof jumpsuits are the best you can get in this country,better ones are generally available at WPG but there based in the states.It doesnt matter how long you have been re-enacting it doesnt change the fact that every trader sells good and bad products.You have to shop around and get some gear from one and more from another.I cant advise him on British gear as im into US stuff so i steered the guy to the ww2 forum insted of making sweeping statements about traders lol :wink: :D

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:11 pm

SoF stall at events not bad, you can see what you're buying.

SoF mail order, they seem to have a bin of crap to clear out.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:59 pm

He'll get the same answer there.
Most of the US AB groups won't buy from SoF. Not a sweeping statement, just years of experience and wasted cash! :D

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm

irony is lost on some.
The irony of making a sweeping statement about the opinion everybody shares on another forum as defence against a sweeping statement .

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Not lost. Just temporarily misplaced. :D

SoF do some decent bits. Tankers berets, some of the WLA kit is ok. But sadly they've been bypassed in quality in most things. It's ok for whatdo they call it? 'promenading' but doesn't wear well and I've had one of their BD jackets for about 4 years and despite lots of wear, a JML bobbleoff and being used as a picnic blanket it still doesn't sit right and looks....weird. The cut of the sleeve is wrong, the collar is set incorrectly.

I could say a lot about it, but it's all been said elsewhere.

Taff Gillingham is producing some good stuff at Khaki Devil, forgot to mention that!
K

Mart

Postby Mart » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:53 pm

What uniform you get depends on what scenario you are planning
for example if you are planning on portraying the 13th DBLE you have Narvik (french uniform), N.Africa and Italy (British desert) France 1944 (British BD unless you are portraying one of the 650 Ukrainians captured from the Waffen SS that were put in US gear due to them being in the Southern sector of the front) Weapons you can get away with US from Italy onwards, Thomsons, Grease guns, 30 cals etc.

Epic militaria are ok for off the peg stuff http://www.epicmilitaria.co.uk/section. ... b8a0f7141/

Spearhead on ebay also do some quality gear though I dont look at the US / Brit stuff often there.

hope that helps you some but as previously advised pop to the ww2 forums theres bound to be some experts on there :)

on a note about SOF I wont touch them with a barge pole!!! 5 uniforms Ive ordered 3 were wrong size never got the right one back and took 4 weeks to refund me!, one the stitching ripped out after hanging it up, another one 3 of the 5 buttons fell off first time on doing them up never good quality imo ......they also have a knack of holding onto your credit card details for a couple of weeks before telling you were out of stock!

Mart
Fallschirmjager, KGS

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:28 pm

That was my experience more than once! (and did we say be careful with warhorse?) :|

ZoeRPM

Postby ZoeRPM » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:23 pm

There's probably still quite a bit of WWII kit still stocked by government surplus stores.

Adam the Archer

Postby Adam the Archer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 am

Does anyone recommend Warhorse?

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:56 pm

ZoeRPM wrote:There's probably still quite a bit of WWII kit still stocked by government surplus stores.

You'd be wrong there...

"We know what the world thinks of us...but, every now and then, when trouble comes knocking at the door, we're good people to know." Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am

I dont know anyone who reccomends warhorse.

See here;

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/v ... t=warhorse

and do a search on there for page after page of horror stories. I wouldnt buy from a company who have this on their site;

it also states a 6 month waiting list for uniforms.

Adam the Archer

Postby Adam the Archer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks Miss Costello - I did see that on their site and wondered!

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm afraid I approached them at a show and their customer 'service' was just as interesting face to face.

:|

Return to “1900 onwards”