Boot advice for the 1930's

Moderator: Moderators

Avalon Adam

Boot advice for the 1930's

Postby Avalon Adam » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:47 pm

can someone tell me, were rubber soles used on mens working boots in teh 1930's either military or civvy.
Can anyone suggest were I can get a reasonable lace up boot for re-enactment of tha period. Your help would be gratefully recived.

I love my country but fear my government

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Moved here, the other area is for questions about the forum itself.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 pm

You could get away with a crepe sole but I'd suggest that you try somewhere like churches or John White for a good leather soled pair. what's the impression you're working towards?

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 am

Check out the pages of La Columna

http://www.lacolumna.org.uk/civilian_clothes.htm

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:06 am

Vibram soles which were adopted by WWII commandos were the first rubber boot soles on the market and were introduced to the mountainering market in 1937. I'm doubtful that they would have been much used in working boots at that time.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Sasha wrote:Check out the pages of La Columna

http://www.lacolumna.org.uk/civilian_clothes.htm

Echoing this, I have a pair of the Lennons B5 WW1 Ammunition boots and they are the best pair of boots you will ever buy! :D

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

Avalon Adam

Postby Avalon Adam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 am

Miss Costello wrote:You could get away with a crepe sole but I'd suggest that you try somewhere like churches or John White for a good leather soled pair. what's the impression you're working towards?

Thanks. I'm with La Columna and my part is a British International Brigade Volunteer. I looked at william Lennons but they were a bit expensive. I bought an old pair of ammo boots that had been bees waxed and highly bulled. To be honest they were the most uncomfortable and slippy boots Ive ever worn and i was in the army for a few years so I thought I knew boots. Looks like others recommend William Lennons

fangorn

Postby fangorn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 pm

the commandos had boots with SV soles which were rubber grip soles, can't remember if they were screwed on or stitched on (actually think there were both,though would'nt swear)

i wear dms boots,have done for three years, look the same from the top and if anyones complaining about the bottoms, its only coz i'm treading on their face ! :twisted:

"And upon taking the oath to St Lazarus, he did raise his hand, and lo, it did drop off ! ! "

Avalon Adam

Re:

Postby Avalon Adam » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:12 pm

fangorn wrote:i wear dms boots,have done for three years, look the same from the top and if anyones complaining about the bottoms, its only coz i'm treading on their face ! :twisted:

Can't argue with the logic of that Fangorn.

A big thank you to all of you who have given advice on this question. I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Brown Austerity working boots with toe cap on ebay. They had been left untouched since the 1940's , what a find. If you see an International Brigader hobbling about at Detling , its me still trying to break them in.

Return to “1900 onwards”