French at Gallipoli

Moderator: Moderators

Nutcracker

French at Gallipoli

Post by Nutcracker »

Right be a bit of an ask but does anyone know of any decent books about the French at Gallipoli? There probably ain't many but i am hoping to get kit together to portray a soldier of the 175th or 176th metropolitan infantry. Most Gallipoli books i have flipped through have very little stuff on the French contribution.

Josh
Veteri frondescit honore

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

All I remember is a bit in Windrow's "Uniforms of the Foreign Legion" saying that they wore the Khaki Colonial uniform with the Blue Greatcoat.....You're right,it is obscure!
Steve
PS...Where in Tottenham?....lived there for 20 years
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

steve stanley wrote:PS...Where in Tottenham?....lived there for 20 years
Just off Bruce Grove, about a minute from Bruce Castle Park.
Having looked at a website it seems the FFL wore horizon blue at Gallipoli. I was looking at representing a regular French infantryman from one of the two French regiments posted to Gallipoli.

Josh
Veteri frondescit honore

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

Nutcracker wrote:
steve stanley wrote:PS...Where in Tottenham?....lived there for 20 years
Just off Bruce Grove, about a minute from Bruce Castle Park.
Having looked at a website it seems the FFL wore horizon blue at Gallipoli. I was looking at representing a regular French infantryman from one of the two French regiments posted to Gallipoli.

Josh
Interesting...I would have thought the W.Front would have had priority for the new unifoms...was under the impression troops in N.Africa kept the old ones.
Also lived off Bruce Grove for a couple of years..opposite the Almshouses(if they're still there........)
Steve
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

steve stanley wrote:[Interesting...I would have thought the W.Front would have had priority for the new unifoms...was under the impression troops in N.Africa kept the old ones.
Also lived off Bruce Grove for a couple of years..opposite the Almshouses(if they're still there........)
Steve
I think by 1915 some units wore the old style blue and red uniform and others the horizon bleu. It was a matter of supply. This is a link to the 151eme RIL, a French group in the States (they seem to have a pretty through breakdown) http://151ril.com/content/gear/1914. Another link with more specifics on the French at Gallipoli http://www.diggerhistory2.info/graveyar ... -corps.htm.

Josh
ps what a coincidence. The almshouses are still there and not far from my house.
Veteri frondescit honore