Air Raid Shelter- concrete flat roof

Moderator: Moderators

Cookey

Air Raid Shelter- concrete flat roof

Postby Cookey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 am

Hello
I've just joined the forum to try and find out more about the air raid shelter that we have in the garden of our 1930s council house, Bristol.
I have pics but not sure how to post them?
We are in the process of converting the shelter to something more useable and wanted to get as much information as possible about the history.
It is a concrete shelter with a flat roof and built up on the hill of the garden away from the house. The house itself is up a hill so the flat roof offers a good view across some of Bristol. We wondered from other information we've seen if it may be a Warden's shelter where the warden would sit on the top to look out for where bombs landed to log and unexploded ones?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Re: Air Raid Shelter- concrete flat roof

Postby Miss Costello » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Hello there,

most homes -depending on income were issued the Anderson Shelter. That's your standard corrugated iron curved jobbie. If there was no garden, then you may have been issued the Morrison Shelter (reinforced steel dining room table with mmesh sides!)

However, residents did have the option to build their own and there was a plethora of useful magazines and leaflets to assist the home owner. Occasionally if tahere was no room in a street for a communal shelter then a homeowner would allow the building of such a shelter in their own garden.

does yours have any placements for windows? It is possible, with good views that it was a type of pillbox or comunications block. Where are you in Bristol?

Also, feel free to drop me a pm for links to some friends who may even have details of your shelter and it's use.

Kate (very envious!)

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Found my 1939 copy of 'ARP-what to do in an emergency'

Lots of diagrams and explanations.

Let me know if you want to see.

K

Oliviasanders

Postby Oliviasanders » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:03 pm

Hello,

I think I have the same air raid shelter in my garden and I am in the process of trying to make it more useable also. I wondered if you had any success with making alterations to yours?

I have uploaded a photo and wondered if you could offer any insight/suggestions. You are more than welcome to come round and have a look.

Thank you
Olivia
Attachments
0814C9C4-E782-44BD-A727-0B63F7E93D23.jpeg
0814C9C4-E782-44BD-A727-0B63F7E93D23.jpeg (49.78 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Return to “1900 onwards”