British Army Headdress, Help Needed

Moderator: Moderators

Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 pm

British Army Headdress, Help Needed

Postby fredk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Folks,
I require your help. Your knowledge of British Army uniform head dress in particular.
I have the barest of information yet I must try and find the period of a certain type of headdress and the type of regiment which wore it.
All I have is, it, or the wearers were nicknamed 'button-cap'.
I'm thinking it may have been a soft pillbox style cap for off-duty, with a badge or button on the crown which was prominent.
And most likely to have been worn by foot or artillery rather than cavalry.
The known wearer of such headdress was garrisoned in a castle, but when I/we don't know, nor his regiment. [The castle was in military use up to 1928 or so.]
Others have checked out the usual route of enquiry; castle records, military records [all lost for the castle] etcetera.

I know its a long shot, but you lot know your stuff and may have some ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS; I'm posting this in the other date sections too as I just don't know which era it could really be.

Kevan Bailey
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: British Army Headdress, Help Needed

Postby Kevan Bailey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Only just seen this, but it sounds as if you're describing a Kilmarnock cap.

Kevan Bailey (half of Peggy's Necessities)

Return to “1810-1900”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests