uniform borough franchise

Moderator: Moderators

Jofre

uniform borough franchise

Postby Jofre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Can anyone explain me please the definition of "uniform borough franchise"? I need to understand what it is in order to understand a text about "The Great Reform Act".

Here there is a first context:

"Lord John Russell, who was the member of the Whig government most involved in taking the reform legislation through Parliament in 1832, still favoured a more extensive franchise than Tory Party spokesmen - just as had been the case more than a decade earlier. However Russell now had a House of Commons more favourable to his point of view.
A uniform borough franchise was introduced, on top of the various ancient right franchises found in the old Parliamentary boroughs: (see the Unreformed House of Commons for a list of the different franchises in each borough). The new boroughs, like Leeds, had no ancient right borough voters so only the new franchise rules applied to them." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Thanks to your collaboration! Best, Jofre

SteveC

Re: uniform borough franchise

Postby SteveC » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 pm

I think it's the idea that each parliamentary constituency should have roughly the same number of voters.
Before the reform acts we had some boroughs returning MPs where there were no people living, but the local landowner could choose the MP.
See 'rotton boroughs' for an explanation

S

Return to “1810-1900”