Living History tours in Lancashire

Moderator: Moderators

Lancashire History

Living History tours in Lancashire

Postby Lancashire History » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:13 pm

I returned to Lancashire 3 years ago after living in Canada for about 10 years and have lived in spain and denmark since returning to Europe. So I have see the world a bit...from Tahiti to alasca and a large chunk of europe and some of the middle east. When i returned home I saw Lancashire with new eyes...yes it rains too much and there are a million things wrong with England, but you cannot deny that we have a wonderful history full of stories of valor and sometimews of evil and cawardice.

I decided to get back to my roots and moved from copenhagen (probably one of the most beautiful cities in europe) to Bacup....a mill town in the Lancashire hills.

And you know what? The mill town wins...the reason? It's real.....it was made from the hard work of ordinary people leading ordinary lives.....which is what history is really about.....Accademics get lost in the minutia of dates and laws and the goings on at court... but I find much more interest in how people got through the week....how they paid...or didnt pay their bills....where they got their entertainment and what were their morals really like.

I want to get past the film and TV stereotypes that litter our consciousness.

For this reason I have put together www.lancashirehistorytours.co.uk to invite small groups of people to sample the life of Lancashire's working class in the 1860's.

This was a terrible time for the weavers and spinners around the Manchester area as , due to the American Civil War, there was very little cotton to spin.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give in spreading the word about my venture and if you have a website that you think would have relevance to my site please send an email link and we can cross link to eachothers site and spread the traffic around......

I am going to have a things to do inLancashire page when I get enough submissions...the weirder the better......like Burnleys black Pudding throwing championships.....go figure....anyway i will be contributing relevent articles here and hopefully making a few freinds.....would love to hear your comments on my site and my idea in general....the tourist people seem to be quite enthusiastic for it.

http://www.lancashirehistorytours.co.uk

Lancashire History

Civil war Heroes in Lancashire

Postby Lancashire History » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 pm

"The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Private Philip Baybutt, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 24 September 1864, while serving with Company A, 2d Massachusetts Cavalry, in action at Luray, Virginia, for capture of flag."

Captured a Rebel flag and was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Luray, Va., on 9/24/1864.The Civil War was a great disaster for the American people. One of the lesser known facts about the civil war was that it destroyed the lives of nearly a million people in the mill towns of Lancashire.

The man in the citation above was a delivery driver for his father's company in Old Trafford in Manchester, when, at the age of 25, he went on holiday to visit his brother in America. This was around new year 1864, right at the height of the civil war.

He was swept up in the recruitment frenzy that was going on at the time and became one of those civil war stories that stop you in your tracks. If he was truly anti slavery or just caught up in the madness of the time, nobody but his nearest and dearest knew.

He fought for the Federals in 8 major battles in a period of 18 months.

During one of those battles (Battle of Yagers Mill) he charged the Confederate ranks and captured their regimental flag, for which he recieved the Medal of Honor.(similar to the Victoria Cross in the British army.)

He was the first British person to recieve this great honor. When he died, his widow recieved 8 dollars a month pension, although the American Government refused to pay Phillip a pension while he was still alive.

In 2002 the American Government finally recognised Mr Baybutt's contribution by laying a headstone at his grave in Manchester.
The A.C.W.S re-enactment troup stood as a guard of honor.

www.lancashirehistorytours.co.uk

http://www.acws.co.uk/historyalive/index.php?page=alive

Return to “1810-1900”