1812 in Ontario?

Moderator: Moderators

sheepmilker

1812 in Ontario?

Postby sheepmilker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi all,

Lots of media attention surfacing for this year's anniversary. I'd like to go and watch some events.

Anyone coming over here for any of the musters?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Re: 1812 in Ontario?

Postby Andy R » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 pm

A few folk from the Napoleonic Association are going over

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 pm

The 2/95th were hoping to get to Fort Erie, but Peninsula bicentenaries and shrinking wallets are making it unlikely. :sweat:

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm really interested in the current 'thinking' around the War of 1812 - from both the US and GB angles. I've heard some people from the US proclaiming that it was a victory for them (mainly based around the Battle of New Orleans which was fought after the peace treaty had been signed over in Europe - and it being a Pakenham 'co*k-up'...I suppose he did make up for it by paying with his own life) plus a few frigate-on-frigate actions where the US had a bit of an 'upper-hand' due to their very powerful and exceptionally well-constructed ships (until the last one when JPJ the Welch-turncoat got spanked!). Whereas the GB 'angle' seems to lie firmly in the, "You attempetd to invade Canada and our numerically inferior forces gave you a very bloody nose thus thwarting your policy for good" and "We were so pi55ed-off with you that we came on down and burnt the President's gaffe....so there!"

As a side-note, at least the War of 1812 gave the USofA it's National Anthem. However, I'm very glad that there's finally some recognition that this part of the greater Napoleonic Wars did take place that that brave souls on both sides died defending their respective causes.

I also think that there's a new book out on the War...it was reviewed in the Sunday Times yesterday. I would post the title here...but having a mind like a sieve I can't remember the authour or title for toffee!

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 pm

We'll go if we can do Bladensburg, mind you I'd need to train so's I could keep up with the Americans, where's me 85th uniform let's see how much it's, ehem, 'shrunk' :wink:

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 am

As per the real war of 1812ff...I'm sure the Americans will stop for a burger and fries break ...so you'll be sure to catch up (unless you stop for a pie, pint and fag break :wink: ). Apologies for my terrible typo in my above message....the spelling of 'author' is incorrect...I hang my head in shame. I also fear that I have made a mistake as to the previous life of John Paul Jones - was he Welsh or Scottish? (see, my brane fades again!)

sheepmilker

Postby sheepmilker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:04 pm

You might be interested in this article from The Globe and Mail, pictures of re-enactors too!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... 099/page1/

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Thank you...a very interesting article indeed.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Andysmith wrote: I also fear that I have made a mistake as to the previous life of John Paul Jones - was he Welsh or Scottish? (see, my brane fades again!)

Bass/keyboard/anythingelsethatisn'tleadguitarordrums player in Led Zep?

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:34 pm

He most certainly was..plus being a very irritating American privateer who made rather 'cheesy' quotes when his ship was going down.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:13 pm

Having been talked into doing some 1812 stuff here...It does seem to be one of those wars where battlefield victory went to those who made the least c**k-ups..........And JPJ was Revwar....... :D

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 am

steve stanley wrote: victory went to those who made the least c**k-ups

Lundy's Lane could have been the home of the phrase "blue on blue".

One American regiment decimated another one of their own thinking they were British.

Of course, they were wearing blue and facing the opposite direction.....

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Return to “1810-1900”