Victorian Artist portrayals

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Victorian Artist portrayals

Postby sally » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Anyone out there already doing a Victorian artist portrayal? It strikes me that its potentially quite a good portable activity with lots of scope for chatting to people about similarities and differences in materials and colours then and now, easy for people to peer over your shoulder to see what you are up to, and a generally pleasant way to pass a sunny weekend sketching an event or doing detailed studies of plants or architecture.

I'm working up a kit to do terribly genteel and ladylike botanical sketching to go with my various Victorian and Edwardian impressions, just wondering if anyone else is already doing this and can offer any helpful hints :D

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Re: Victorian Artist portrayals

Postby Miss Costello » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 pm

I do, but I tend towards the re-raphaelite brotherhood. I copied a couple of the dresses from famous works for a local gallery and we're using those.
But saying that, I did get a nice old tin for my watercolours, but I'm struggling to find period looking brushes.
K

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Based on the published early Winsor and Newton catalogues (they have them online from 1849 onwards) the St Petersburg/White Night brand ones look pretty much the same, and they are on sale at the moment! Metal ferrules are fine for the date, but they have quill bound ones as well

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks sally, superb.

Return to “1810-1900”