Smoking in the 19th century

Moderator: Moderators

nick19thind

Smoking in the 19th century

Postby nick19thind » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Recently i acquired some very old pipes that i'm interested in trying out. What brands and flavours of tobacco were popular in Victorian times? There's an old-fashioned tobacconist near my house and i need some advice on what to ask for

History discussion website: http://www.allempires.com/forum/

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Smoking in the 19th century

Postby John Waller » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:24 pm

Samuel Gawith tobaccos are worth seeking out - they have recipies dating back to 1792. Escudo and Erinmore are also old brands.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:29 pm

nick19thind wrote:Recently i acquired some very old pipes that i'm interested in trying out. What brands and flavours of tobacco were popular in Victorian times? There's an old-fashioned tobacconist near my house and i need some advice on what to ask for

Ask for really good pipe cleaners as well and be prepared for the pipes to taste foul at first too as the old gunge inside the stem smokes off!

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:46 pm

John Waller wrote:Samuel Gawith tobaccos are worth seeking out - they have recipies dating back to 1792. Escudo and Erinmore are also old brands.

http://www.samuelgawith.co.uk/?PageId=3

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Excellent shop. Thanks for that.

paul bennett

Postby paul bennett » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:47 pm

If you are not a regular pipe smoker, or are used to cigarettes, I would suggest asking for a very mild Virginia from your tobacconist.
The most authentic way to have it is in "flake" form, which you have to rub into the more familiar stringy tobacco yourself. It's not difficult, and it's all part of the ritual.

As an archaeologist, I have dug up filled pipe bowls and as a pipe smoker, could recognise the types of tobbacco. Very little work is actualy done with this residual stuff, as there isn't a phd in it for any one. The 4 big ones are always represented, so you won't go wrong with any blend of:
Virginia
Cavendish
Oriental
Latika

I have not noted any flavoured/aromatic tobacco, but I would not expect that to survive the burial environment, being sugar based

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Return to “1810-1900”