Page 1 of 1

Crimean Russians

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:06 pm
by Birdsong
I'm attempting to put together a Crimean War Russian uniform.
I've been looking into this for a couple of years and have now got a few sources of info and some ideas for basic kit to start with.
If anyone has any interest I'd appreciate any advice or just someone to sound out ideas with.

Cheers,
Simon

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
by nick19thind
Whereabouts are you based? And how many others are in your group? The Imperial Russian army had many different uniforms but this one (known as a chokha) is the coolest:
http://www.russianswords.com/cherk-cossack1.JPG
Although this example dates from the late 19th century similar coats were worn by Cossacks since the 17th century. The silver embroidered panels on the front were used to store cartridges. Originally it was the national dress of Georgia but it was adopted by many cultures in the Caucasus including the Chechens

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:22 pm
by Velund
Here are links I've found from the Russian Internet. I hope they 'll help though there's all in Russian there.

Good pictures of the main Russian units' uniform. In Russian. http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/3317942/post113330333/

А page from a Russian forum where questions of Krimean War reenactment are discussed.
http://www.reenactor.ru/index.php?showtopic=12892

A book about Krimean war by a participant, with drawings.
http://new.runivers.ru/upload/iblock/9f ... qd58sf.pdf

A pic of a privat
http://mundirxix.narod.ru/1855.jpg

a drawing:
http://pike.services.brown.edu/reposito ... 328125.jp2

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:31 am
by Birdsong
nick19thind wrote:Whereabouts are you based? And how many others are in your group? The Imperial Russian army had many different uniforms but this one (known as a chokha) is the coolest:
http://www.russianswords.com/cherk-cossack1.JPG
Although this example dates from the late 19th century similar coats were worn by Cossacks since the 17th century. The silver embroidered panels on the front were used to store cartridges. Originally it was the national dress of Georgia but it was adopted by many cultures in the Caucasus including the Chechens


Hi Nick, I'm in Hampshire. So far there is myself and one other but I have a discussion group on Living History Worldwide that has about 9 people.
We're not thinking of doing cossacks just ordinary army or naval infantry, but anyone with an interest is welcome so if you want to join us as a cossack that would be great.

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:32 am
by Birdsong
Velund wrote:Here are links I've found from the Russian Internet. I hope they 'll help though there's all in Russian there.

Good pictures of the main Russian units' uniform. In Russian. http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/3317942/post113330333/

А page from a Russian forum where questions of Krimean War reenactment are discussed.
http://www.reenactor.ru/index.php?showtopic=12892

A book about Krimean war by a participant, with drawings.
http://new.runivers.ru/upload/iblock/9f ... qd58sf.pdf

A pic of a privat
http://mundirxix.narod.ru/1855.jpg

a drawing:
http://pike.services.brown.edu/reposito ... 328125.jp2


Thanks for posting those links, some I've seen before but there is some new interesting stuff there too.

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:35 am
by nick19thind
I suggest getting into contact with these guys. They reenact our British foes:
http://www.19thfoot.co.uk/

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:29 pm
by CaptGrant
Hope it takes off..give me something to charge at!!!

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 pm
by Moment in Time
Moment In Time has Russian impressions from the 19th/20th century s and new for this year Polish impressions covering from the 17th thru to 19th century.

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 pm
by nick19thind
Andy, can you tell me who makes your group's cossack uniforms please?

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:50 pm
by knirirr
Did you ever have any luck getting a Russian impression together?

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 pm
by czartank
It is something we have been mulling over for some time- the problem is getting suitable guns- I believe that springfields bear a reasonable resemblance to the Russian muskets.

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:54 am
by knirirr
czartank wrote:It is something we have been mulling over for some time- the problem is getting suitable guns- I believe that springfields bear a reasonable resemblance to the Russian muskets.


I've been thinking about doing Crimean French, and have had similar difficulties. Other than buying antiques (expensive and irregular supply) my only other thought was to get Indian Charleville muskets converted to percussion. These would not be perfect, but wouldn't look too far from the correct gun.

Re: Crimean Russians

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:32 pm
by Birdsong
I thought of converted Charlevilles too as this is exactly what a lot of Russian regiments were equipped with.
All Russian muskets and rifled muskets were copies of their French equivalents, with the locks positioned to the rear of the trigger so a Springfield would not look right. They usually had mostly brass fittings too.
Another option is the Brunswick rifle that Derbyshire arms sell as this is a close match to the Luttich carbine used by Russian rifle units.
Also reading some Russian viewpoints of the war there were whole units in Sebastopol equipped with captured French rifled muskets and British enfields (plenty of these around) because they were much better quality than Russian weapons. Stealing allied rifles was the prime objective of Russian trench raids.