Waterloo - Super photos

Moderator: Moderators

John Waller
Post Knight

Waterloo - Super photos

Postby John Waller » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Stephen Dobson / Rab

Re: Waterloo - Super photos

Postby Stephen Dobson / Rab » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Those are fabulous :thumbup: So much cavalry, loads of gunsmoke, some rather natty highlanders, waist-high crops, and.... CONGREVE ROCKETS 8-) 8-)

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:17 pm

The one of my back is the best one of me I have seen so far..!

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Stephen Dobson / Rab wrote:Those are fabulous :thumbup: So much cavalry, loads of gunsmoke, some rather natty highlanders, waist-high crops, and.... CONGREVE ROCKETS 8-) 8-)

The highlanders must have had an interestingly tickling experience in the wheat!

The smoke was intense. At times you could not see the frenchies 50yds away. Really brought home the 'fog of war'.

The rockets were rather excellent. Moves are a foot to see if we can use them in the UK, at least in displays if not in battles. I brought one home as a souvenir for disection to see how they were built.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 pm

John Waller wrote:The rockets were rather excellent. Moves are a foot to see if we can use them in the UK, at least in displays if not in battles. I brought one home as a souvenir for disection to see how they were built.

The rockets were fab - was that Yaron's battery firing the rocket "blunts"? I forgot to ask him.

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Andy R wrote:
John Waller wrote:The rockets were rather excellent. Moves are a foot to see if we can use them in the UK, at least in displays if not in battles. I brought one home as a souvenir for disection to see how they were built.

The rockets were fab - was that Yaron's battery firing the rocket "blunts"? I forgot to ask him.

I think the blunts came from the Leipzig troop, they may have shared them around, but I don't really know. I know Adam Parlor was given one to copy. I just happen to have half a dozen of those rocket motors gathering dust at home :devil:

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:06 pm

So if you can work on a inter continental balistic congreve rocket, you will be able to do Waterloo from the comfort of your own garden :thumbup:

Stephen Dobson / Rab

Postby Stephen Dobson / Rab » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:54 am

John Waller wrote:I brought one home as a souvenir for disection to see how they were built.

In perfect seriousness, if you work it out, please do let me know. I think it would make a good end of term Chemistry/Physics lesson. :twisted:

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 am

Stephen Dobson / Rab wrote:
John Waller wrote:I brought one home as a souvenir for disection to see how they were built.

In perfect seriousness, if you work it out, please do let me know. I think it would make a good end of term Chemistry/Physics lesson. :twisted:

Basically a length of pipe lagging with a tennis ball 'warhead', covered in cloth & paper painted up to look the part, lightweight rocket stick glued and strung-bound on. The motor was a 24mm commercial black powder model rocket motor ( D cat I think?) which neatly fits inside the pipe lagging. There are a few other little details which I plan to draw up in how the motor is held secure. I'm not sure if they fired using electric ignitors (safest) or inserted a fuse (most fun!).

Stephen Dobson / Rab

Postby Stephen Dobson / Rab » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks, John, that might be enough to get me started. If you ever get round to doing a 'How-to' or similar, please drop me a pm or email. 8-)

Born 2 Late

Postby Born 2 Late » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Standard fuse was use to start the motors off. I had a good look on the sunday as they were next to me. This would be a more authentic and practical solution as you shouldnt transport pre assembled black power/ e match systems on the road .

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Born 2 Late wrote:Standard fuse was use to start the motors off. I had a good look on the sunday as they were next to me. This would be a more authentic and practical solution as you shouldnt transport pre assembled black power/ e match systems on the road .

Hi Spud, I started a thread about this on the NA forum but the posts have mysteriously vanished. Blakey and Adam were saying 'yes' if possible and Mr James was being understandably cautious from an insurance perspective. The motors were of german manufacture and I have not found a UK supplier, most sell Estes from the USA. But as they are power-rated there should be an available equivalent. I have a few motors at home but I think they are a lower power rating. I would suggest that the rocket men make some up and demonstrate them at a suitable time and place to make a case for the NA allowing them at UK events, at least in displays if not in combat. If I can help, drop me a line.

Cheers

John

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 pm

John Waller wrote:
Hi Spud, I started a thread about this on the NA forum but the posts have mysteriously vanished.

Hi John,

more than is up here?
http://www.napoleonicassociation.org/fo ... opic=367.0

Let me know if there is anything missing and I will look at over zealous and inapropriate moderators.

Ta
Andy

PS
Bullion fringe - any good?

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:32 pm

If there's one thing that'd get me on a Napoleonic reenactment battlefield it's Congreave rockets! Cavalry uniforms and none of the mucking out! 8)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:45 am

Andy R wrote:
John Waller wrote:
Hi Spud, I started a thread about this on the NA forum but the posts have mysteriously vanished.

Hi John,

more than is up here?
http://www.napoleonicassociation.org/fo ... opic=367.0

Let me know if there is anything missing and I will look at over zealous and inapropriate moderators.

Ta
Andy

PS
Bullion fringe - any good?

Andy,
The Waterloo thread on which the rocket discussion was started has gone. Blakey, Adam P, Brian James, myself and others had all posted on it.

Bullion - samples so far are no good for what I want. PM me your address and I'll mail them over to you if you want. Or are you at Kelmarsh?

Cheers

John

Return to “1810-1900”