rifles braiding

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
Absolute Wizard

rifles braiding

Postby Martin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Ive got a 95th rifles uniform for trading in at multi periods along with other period kit as well, I keep seeing 95th rifles uniforms with black braiding on the front and some with out, I like the way it looks and I want to do it on mine, Ive got plenty of time, 3 days a week when Im sat in our shop so thats when Im doin it, where would I find some images so I can see how to do it, also whats it mean ? I dont know alot about the period :)

"you dont make friends with salad!"

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Re: rifles braiding

Postby Neibelungen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Try the 2/95th website and their forum.

There's a long discussion and lots of recent pics of the originals and a very good reconstruction being worked on.

Two versions are common, the clark coat in Winchester, which is about 1809/10 I think, from memory, which is braided in a 3 ply twist cord, or the Osprey illustrations, which are done in Russia and based off a tailors drawing and notes of about 1814/15. That's the 'Sharpe' style withg russia braid and lacing round the back of the collar and shoulders.

Both are correct, just there's no surviving example of the 'Sharpe' style to verify it against.

Military Metalwork
Accoutrements, Regalia, Headdres & Metalwork

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Re: rifles braiding

Postby Martin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 am

cheers for that :)

"you dont make friends with salad!"

Return to “1810-1900”