Napoleonic time leather items. Looking for info.

Moderator: Moderators

Willy_Trambone

Napoleonic time leather items. Looking for info.

Postby Willy_Trambone » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Good day everyone!

I am leatherworker and I am specialized in medieval leatherworks. I have posted my goods here.
Some times people ask me to make Napoleonic time stuff. We have got two big reenactment groups here, in Sevastopol, where I live. But I failed to find historically correct information.

Maybe anybody of you has drawings, patterns, recommendations on sewing bullet purses, Haversacks (sorry for my poor English - I am not sure that I named this items correctly). Especially French army, but I'm also interested in English, Austrian and any other this period war leather equipment.

I will be thankful for any help and will make reasonably priced high-quality stuff :)

Thank you.
Willy.

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:51 am

Hi Willy,
For French stuff, you could start with:
Michel Petard, Equipmemts militaires de 1600 a 1870. You want vols 3 and 4.
and,
H. Malibran, Guide a l'usage des artisites et des costumiers-des uniformes de l'Armee francaise de 1780 a 1848.
This will set you on the right track, Malibran reproduces the regulations and Petard reproduces the artefacts.
There are no comparable works in English that I would recommend, except for Pierre turner's Soldiers' accoutrements of the British Army 1750-1900. Artefact based.
What I know of the leather accoutrements of the Austrian army you could write on the back of an Os***y.

Willy_Trambone

Postby Willy_Trambone » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:10 am

Thank you very much!
I've found some info. So, hopefully, I'll post here some works soon for critics:)

Return to “1810-1900”