Help Wanted to Identifiy a French Sword

Moderator: Moderators

glyndwr 50

Help Wanted to Identifiy a French Sword

Postby glyndwr 50 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:34 pm

I have been asked to sell a French Sword .( I can't say for certain that its french ) .but saying that it has the words PARIS stamped on the blade .There is also a oval stamp on the blade with a letter N ( Which is Reversed with a five pointed star just above the letter N )There is another oval stamp on the brass hilt with P R .It has a brass hilt wich looks very much like a roman type sword ,It has a leaf blade which has a few sword or bayonet nicks on one edge but not to deep .The overall size is 25" ,the blade is 19" .This sword is in found condition and will be left from someone else to refurbish ,no rust to speak of but has a small patches of surface discoloration on the blade, Brass hilt is good condition but has a dent on one side of the hilt ,( Which the family who own it were told made by a musket ball) .I have no idea what year this sword was made ,but it was brought back to England after the battle of SEBASTOPOL .A battle I have been told that took place in 1855 .( I have no idea its not my period ) .There is no scabbard ,and it I have been told is a battle trophy .This sword will be coming up for sale ,once somebody knows what it is ..If anybody wants a photo ,please email me .I have tried to put photos on the forum but have had no joy ..

Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down,

Death is just Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

nathan

Postby nathan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:50 pm

try www.swordforum.com they should be able to help you.

http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

glyndwr 50

Help wanted to identify French sword ?

Postby glyndwr 50 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:07 pm

The above Sword is French ,and is an 1831 ,infantry or gunners side arm.So fits in well with the 1855 Battle of Sebastopol.A nice surviving piece of 19th cent history.Now I know what it is it will go in the for sale thread.

Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down,,

Death is just Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Return to “1810-1900”