where to buy - Repro. R.N bicorn napoleonic

Moderator: Moderators

Nick

where to buy - Repro. R.N bicorn napoleonic

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 pm

any thoughts on where to get 'fore and aft' captains bicorne for about 1815. Ive had a look at a few sites but they seem very expensive. I'm after a fairly basic one without all the finery

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Kate1812

Postby Kate1812 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Our two officers bought blanks in the ORM and made them themslves. A bit of gold lace and stuff they look great

This is so simple a child of 5 could understand it......quick fetch me a child of 5!

Nick

bicorn

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm

many thanks John - I have e mailed them for us price.

and many thanks Kate - could well be an option depending on the price that comes back! Can you tell me who does the blanks at TORM.

Kate1812

Postby Kate1812 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:11 am

don't know the name of the chap who sells them, but he's in the second hall (not the cricket hall)

This is so simple a child of 5 could understand it......quick fetch me a child of 5!

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Did you want the solid more Victorian style?
in which case buy a LARGE felt blank from tom norbury and some shellac dissolved in meths (craft shops do felt stiffener) and you could do it yourself, just steam and block the crown stiffen the whole thing put braid on steam and shape the 'leaves' stitch into place, o and sew a band around inside the crown to stop the felt expanding when you sweat. Or order one from Kittyhats, pay her do all the hard work.
But if you mean the folding chapeau bras style?
Thats a whole different kettle of fish as it's a complicated stitched woollen folding envelope cap(like a WWII side cap) inside a buckram oval covered on both sides with felt/wool then trimmed and is a beeeatch to make hence the cost.
You could get a side cap from a WWII supplier (like these http://www.militariaonline.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_9_50&zenid=5d976aafbe4a44fcb35c31b07e6975cb ) and use that as the base , remember not to sew the oval at the front and back or it won't fold flat, buckram you can get from places like John Lewis, braid from hand and Lock http://www.handembroideryshop.co.uk/acatalog/TRIMMINGS.html and some nice black melton from Bernie T Bolt or Hainsworth and lots of sewing.....good luck.

That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.'

Nick

hat update

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi all, many thanks for the info. I have bought a blank and will see what I end up with. Although I think it will spend a large amount of time folded under my arm!

cheers

Nick

Return to “1810-1900”