3rd Foot Guards

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Harbottle

3rd Foot Guards

Postby Ian Harbottle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Hello all,

Myself and a few friends are looking to portray the 3rd Foot Guards at around the time of Waterloo. We have been researching the history, equipment and uniforms of the regiment for a couple of years now, and this has been quite successful as a couple of us served in the modern Foot Guards and we've known where to look. What we haven't been able to find is if anyone is already portraying the 3rd Foot Guards. We've contacted the NA to which they have a single staff officer who's 3rd FG and the ENS don't seem to have anyone listed. So what I'd like to ask is, does anyone know of a re-enactment group portraying the 3rd Foot Guards before we announce that we are forming one? We don't want to tread on toes.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 pm

I was approached by Keith Jepson a few years back about him setting up a 3rd foot unit.

I did a sample crossbelt plate, shako plate and button for them, but nothing came of it.

I don't know if he had an plans to take it further, but he might be the place to start from.

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: 3rd Foot Guards

Postby John Waller » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:01 am

Ian Harbottle wrote:Hello all,

Myself and a few friends are looking to portray the 3rd Foot Guards at around the time of Waterloo. We have been researching the history, equipment and uniforms of the regiment for a couple of years now, and this has been quite successful as a couple of us served in the modern Foot Guards and we've known where to look. What we haven't been able to find is if anyone is already portraying the 3rd Foot Guards. We've contacted the NA to which they have a single staff officer who's 3rd FG and the ENS don't seem to have anyone listed. So what I'd like to ask is, does anyone know of a re-enactment group portraying the 3rd Foot Guards before we announce that we are forming one? We don't want to tread on toes.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

I think that it may have been attempted but I'm not aware of an active group. There are some nice pics of a recreated NCO in the Wellington's Army in Colour Photo's book. - edit my error it's an NCO of the Royal Scots. The 3rd Footguard picture is of Gerry Embleton's life size model from the NAM.
Good luck with the project - but a Boro lad joining a Scotch regt!
Attachments
Poster.jpg
Last edited by John Waller on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:03 am

There is a US Revwar group doing 3rd Foot Guards but they are 40 years before your portrayal.

Ian Harbottle

Postby Ian Harbottle » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the responses. So far no-one has come forward to claim this is already being done so without further ado allow me to introduce the Third Regiment of Foot Guards

Hi John, my history with this illustrious Regiment goes back a long way. It's far too long and boring for me to tell you without having bought you a drink first.

Hi Neibelungen, We'll defiantly be interested in the metalwork. We need Officers' as well as other ranks. I'll send you a P.M. by the end of the week.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Ian,
Next time I'm up on Teesside perhaps we can meet up for that drink. Good look with the project. If my lot (2nd Queen's) can help in any way then drop me a line.

Cheers

John

Ian Harbottle

Postby Ian Harbottle » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Thanks John, the drink wil be waiting, and, I may well take you up on that offer and drop you a line. Though we are quite experienced we don't advocate to know it all and some constructive advice and help won't go amiss.

Many thanks,

Ian.

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Return to “1810-1900”