Question about ammunition

Moderator: Moderators

LifepeO

Question about ammunition

Postby LifepeO » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:57 pm

I would like to know mostly for the purposes of an RPG game:
in the 1850's would percussion cap ammunition have been sold in combustible cartridges or would it have been sold separte as in lose powder and ball for the person to make thier own cartridge or would it have been sold in both ways?
And lastly would there have been a disadvantage to just carring cartridges around for long periods of time?

madjon

Postby madjon » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:12 am

military or civil? both ways apply depending on what your after then theres also horns still in use for sporting guns and priming, percussion caps came in a little tin or box and could be put in a pouch on your belt, or a container set into the butt with a swivel lid, the cartridge was generally already made up when issued, but for civvy use it could be powder in a horn with a shot flask as well, carrying cartridges for long time , how long? they came grease proofed to stop them getting damp, the top had a ball in it the bottom had the powder in it? and the priming caps were kept very much seperate from being near the charges, anything specific in mind?

LifepeO

Postby LifepeO » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:04 pm

i was thinking as in civil,and by long time i though for example if you were travelling for several days would there be a disadvantage to carring the powder and ball in cartridges? i know the military carried them seperate so i thought there might have been a reason to this other than ease of transportation
thanks for your reply

madjon

Postby madjon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:18 am

the cartridges are a few inchs long and made of paper probably containing around 2 drams of powder and a ball, the only real disadvantage about carrying a number of them is if you dont have enough for what you are using them for, no real disadvantage to carrying them, their the right charge ready to use, the caps are still stored seperately, if you were thinking of the leather cartridge buckets used by cannon crew then they were only for transporting powder charges between the trail and the gun, try ww greeners the gun and its development for more on the devlopment of the gun and ammunition in the pre 1910 world , pretty sure powder and ball were together by the 1850's

Return to “1810-1900”