C17th Living History Groups?

Moderator: Moderators

And So To Bed

C17th Living History Groups?

Postby And So To Bed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Are there any C17th or early C18th living history groups in the UK who have room for women?

I've been involved in re-enacting another era since I was at school and I'd like to branch out. The C17th to early C18th interests me more, especially 1660-1720, so I'm looking for anything between 1620 and 1750.

But after all this time I can't seem to find a group which does more 'living history' than 're-enactment'. (Sorry for using those labels, lazy of me but it's the easiest way to explain.) Pretty much everything I've seen for this period involves women almost as an afterthought: camp followers, doxies, fighting as a soldier/pirate in men's clothes or being some random bloke's bird.

Or because of my skin colour, and a group organisers' wonky grasp of history, I'm told I can be a servant or worse still, 'Fatima the Slave Girl'. (Insert Sideshow Bobgroan here). Quite apart from being hugely offensive, that ignores the long history of various ethnic minorities in the UK (yes I do have evidence for that).

Is there any group out there where I can make myself useful, use my existing skills and learn new ones? Or failing that, as a last resort, would allow me to wear a nice frock and do stuff in the background to add atmosphere (I have quite nice period clothes, including gentry level that does not involve polyester, corduroy or plastic trimming!)?

Will a bribe do it? I will bring cake, I will hug you, I have teeth and nearly all of them are mine....
Last edited by And So To Bed on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:21 pm

Where in the country are you based? Most groups have a fairly scattered membership but it would help for local contact to know.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Try the GAS Company http://thegasco.org/cms/news.php . Formed originally by a group of ECWS members due to the short sightedness of 'the management'.

Or http://www.17thcenturylifeandtimes.com/

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

And So To Bed

Postby And So To Bed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:42 pm

m300572 wrote:Where in the country are you based?

Sorry I forgot to say I'm in the East/South East of England, though I do have a car.

PotBoy

Postby PotBoy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 pm

Have a look at our website:

http://www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk/

We are a Royalist Regiment, and we have a very large living history contingent within our regiment. We do many living history as well as just "fighting" We have cooks, brewers, cheese maker, carpenter, shotte maker, washerwomen, lacemaker and seamstresses to name a few. The majority of the regiment are based in the Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Hampshire areas but we have members all throughout the country. Everybody is welcome to join us and all living history "characters" are welcome. We are a friendly, sociable regiment and attend events all over the country.

If you're interested at all, please do contact Dave our CO and he will be pleased to give you any details you want. His email is - david.ashbolt@ntlworld.com

Some of our members are also members of the gas company which was mentioned in an earlier post. If you want a contact for the gas company - John Ruse's email is - john.ruse@tesco.net

Good luck in your search.

More bag pudding please Mistress Anthea

Mark P.

Postby Mark P. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Although its at the very end of of your dateline why not have a look at Lacewars (http://www.lacewars.co.uk/).
They have a specific civilian group which concentrates on LH although most of the military units also accept civilians.
Even at military events the skirmish only occupies 30 minutes of a full days display, so most of the rest of the day is devoted to LH.

MP

Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

And So To Bed

Postby And So To Bed » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:20 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. Props for recognising Pepys....

I know of Winchesters but I've never seen them in action before and I'd completely forgotten about the Mannered Mob. I hadn't even heard of GASCO or C17th Life and Times, a sign of my total ignorance :oops: I think I'll probably go round and see these groups doing their thaang at events and pester them with questions.

So thanks again for all your suggestions.

....and so home and to supper, and so to bed.

apayne

Postby apayne » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:51 pm

Have you thought about doing living history at Stuart Peachy's Living history site Grayhill. No military! See http://www.grayhill.org/volunteers/ or e-mail Stuart on stuart-hmaltd@blueyonder.co.uk

Dash

Postby Dash » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:10 pm

And So To Bed wrote:Thanks to everyone who replied. Props for recognising Pepys....

I know of Winchesters but I've never seen them in action before and I'd completely forgotten about the Mannered Mob. I hadn't even heard of GASCO or C17th Life and Times, a sign of my total ignorance :oops: I think I'll probably go round and see these groups doing their thaang at events and pester them with questions.

So thanks again for all your suggestions.

Don't be afraid to say hello..

Dash - Winchesters, we have members of the Gas co in the ranks to, so visiting one of our events could kill 2 birds with one stone..

Aymes Loyaulte

Dave Ashbolt
www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk

beerdragon

Postby beerdragon » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:30 pm

your welcome to visit a Life & Times event, see our website at www.17thcenturylifeandtimes.com :D

A cat with three legs can always outrun a dog with none!

nix

Postby nix » Wed May 23, 2007 9:30 pm

curch ,state and household are a living history group based out of a manor house on the isle of wight, we do a couple of shows a year, and well take you coulor sex or orintaion regardless, we do normal a week at a time and you can come and go as you feel and get involed as much or as little as you want, drop me a pm on here and ill pass the email of the bloke who organises sensilble things, oh its a civil war show but not ecws or sk and we do do random years as well, and if not to join it makes a great holiday show. kids welcome with adults.

im like a bad case of genital warts.
im an irritable c?@t ,
that keeps on coming back,
but i grow on you

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sat May 26, 2007 10:03 pm

Nix, just had a look around the Arreton website, it looks absolutely stunning! Very sumptuous :D

(i.e, right up my street... )

Lidi :D

(emailed said man as well :D)

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:25 pm

YES!!

He replied and it sounds amazing!

Now for some serious research!

Lid :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image