C17th?

Moderator: Moderators

leonardo

C17th?

Postby leonardo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi, Forgive my ignorance, but as someone who's main interests lie in the Civil Wars I was wondering why there seems to be little new posts on this forum. Has interest in this period ceased? Has arguments over 'authenticity' killed it off? Has re-enacting become limited to the years covered by the medievalists? Someone answer please....
Cheers. :?

'Where there is hope only in arms,those arms are holy' - Livy

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:19 pm

I guess it's because the big two ECW groups have their own forums.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

leonardo

Postby leonardo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:46 pm

Hi John,
Whilst I understand the fact that the two main ECW societies have their own web sites, and that might account for the dearth of discussions on this site, wouldn't it be good if any such discussions could be carried on outside of any particular society bias? After all, I for one get fed up with the almost continual 'My societies better than yours' which seems to accompany (now and in years gone by) any real discussions of the period. Just for once can members of the 'rival' societies put aside any differences and use this forum as a neutral ground, or am I asking for too much.
Cheers. :?

'Where there is hope only in arms,those arms are holy' - Livy

Steve Stocker

Postby Steve Stocker » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:31 am

Before I can answer that I need to know which society you belong to :twisted: :twisted:

Usted no tiene prioridad

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:54 am

As John says, ECWS and the SK bth have their own very active discussion sites.

And from my experience, many of the members of those groups simply aren't inerested in discussing anything outside their own society.

We can't force them to post here!! Although they're perfectly welcome, I'm not even sure how many of them know about this place.

Debbie.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Calendula

Postby Calendula » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:48 pm

There's a few of us here........prepared to step outside the stockade!

Waz

Postby Waz » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:30 pm

Attachments
Kelmash Aug 2006 (0001).jpg

StudMonkey

Postby StudMonkey » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Sshh! Don't tell the about us.

Pikemen like it long and hard

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:17 pm

Hmmm...from what I understand one of the 2 big groups has a contingent who actively discourage people talking about periods other than their own on their Members Only section.

The discussion on other groups attendance at Detling a few years ago was very, ah shall we say 'spirited' not to say libellous IMHO...

The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

MadWoman

Postby MadWoman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 pm

I try to post on this board when I can, but as it is almost exclusively mediaeval there is little useful I can contribute. As for this particular forum, I would be happy to contribute if and when I feel I can add something to the discussion, but as I am nothing but a cavalry authenti-bore this doesn't happen very often. It would be good to see it livelier though.

PS Hi Steve, hope you have noticed your wonderful buffcoat in my avatar - it was much admired at the one event I've managed to get to with it but re-enactment activites have been somewhat curtailed recently due to knocking myself out and getting bad concussion coming off Penny- with a good riding hat on!

PotBoy

Postby PotBoy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:32 pm

I have not noticed, particularly in the last couple of years any "my society is better than yours" on the ECWS board. I can't say anything about the SK website as I do not use it. Not have I noticed that discussions are limited to our own Society.

As the majority of English Civil War period re-enactors belong, to one or the other (or indeed both) society then it's fairly logical that they will use their own forums.

Have you tried posting a question on either of these forums? Why don't you try it and see what answer you get.

More bag pudding please Mistress Anthea

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:52 pm

MadWoman, do you think there would be any mileage in asking Cal to set up a section where you and fellow donkey-wallopers could chew the cud on all things equine? After all we have era specific forums. Why not special interest forums that cut across eras?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

MadWoman

Postby MadWoman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:34 pm

What a good idea John. I always home in on the cavalry threads but they are few and far between. Horses are horses, whatever period they are ridden in, so I am sure we could have some fascinating discussions.

Tym

Postby Tym » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:08 pm

No there is no hang up between the two societys at the basic level quite a few people belong to both groups. Both sides have there plus and minus bits. One group has activily encouraged the other joining of for a Major musters but this was turned down by the leader of the other group (Just Trivial) this was for Cheriton last year. I think we would all like to do more together. Both groups have different styles and appear happy in their own way. One day both groups will form together (We did at Powick back in the 90's but that was through a third party The now gone Worcester Militia) So roll on that day
See you on the field
Tym :D

New Recruit

Postby New Recruit » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:25 am

Hi

Maybe this will stir up some debate.

I am looking to move from another era to ECW for next year.

I've been around the re-enactment game for a good few years, and I want to do something completely different.

I already know that not one stitch of what I own will be transferrable, so I need to start from scratch. I will also almost certainly need to have my kit made to order not off the peg.

I am looking to join an ECW regiment and maybe become a member of a gun crew so, apart from talking with the folk in my local regiment and the October re-enactment market, where would you suggest I start looking for kit ?

Thanks,

Paul

StudMonkey

new recruit

Postby StudMonkey » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:54 am

Hi, I'm a member of ECWS and most regiments will provide you with the kit you need to get started (for a small rental fee). I know my regiment charges £1 per muster (I think) and can provide you with an entire outfit. We expect that people will get their kit sorted over a season. There are even people happy to meet you at the traiders fare and advise you on what kit you need. You can simply go to the ECWS website and have all the regiments fight over you or you could join us?
http://www.rawdons.co.uk/ or email rawdons.ecws@rawdons.co.uk

We even have our own cannon!

I am a lowly pikeman but if you contact the regiment then a high and mighty officer will reply, they are the ones with the education. You could just join the forum and findd out what a bunch of a moral loaners we are before joining. Hope to see you soon, on one side or the other.

Pikemen like it long and hard

Graham Cooley

Postby Graham Cooley » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:38 pm

New Recruit

You need to decide who you are going to join and then take their advice as to what to purchase. In both the SK and ECWS there are excellent regiments for Living history and authenticity, there are also regiments who are geared to enjoying themselves on and off the field but their kit would not stand up to close inspection on a Living history camp.

Each regiment has it's own personality and aims and you need to confirm where you would like to belong first.

Regarding cooperation between societies I think the main problem is insurance. At the Festival of History at Stoneleigh in 2004 both societies did a joint battle. But it was under the SK's insurance and this resulted in all musketeers of the ECWS having to go through the SK musket test before the battle. I give full credit to the patience of ECWS members during this.

There have also been events where Sk regiments have attended events organised by ECWS regiments but again arrangments have to be made fr temporary membership for uinsurance purposes.

Graham

Dash

Postby Dash » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:23 pm

New Recruit wrote:Hi

Maybe this will stir up some debate.

I am looking to move from another era to ECW for next year.

I've been around the re-enactment game for a good few years, and I want to do something completely different.

I already know that not one stitch of what I own will be transferrable, so I need to start from scratch. I will also almost certainly need to have my kit made to order not off the peg.

I am looking to join an ECW regiment and maybe become a member of a gun crew so, apart from talking with the folk in my local regiment and the October re-enactment market, where would you suggest I start looking for kit ?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul

The ECWS website has been updated, you will need to register to have access to the forums..

Link http://www.english-civil-war-society.org/cms/news.php

Winchesters of the ECWS are looking for new recruits, as said above for the Kings Army trial membership is £1 per day for 1 muster only. After that you have to jion.

Winchesters have plenty of kit to loan out at no cost, we even have a tent to loan out!!

Oh yes we also have a gun, sorry no 2 guns..

Our small one..

Our big one.

The above picture copyright of Dick Clark - www.mayhemphotographics.co.uk

Cheers

Dash
www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:26 am

Interesting point.

I am not in any societies, but I have good costumes covering all eras, including this one. I would love to come to an event and swan around, but have no wish to join anything and have to go to training events etc. I have no wish to fight. However, as there is no discussion outside of the two big societies' discussion groups, I hardly ever get to chat to 17th century people. Such a shame - lots of fun I do not get the chance to have. Surely I am not the only person in this situation.

PotBoy

Postby PotBoy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Frances

I am sure if you contact our CO, Dash, details above, he may be able to arrange for you to attend one of our events. Winchester's offer a temporary membership if you want to try it for one weekend. We have a large and very active living history section within the regiment, so there is always plenty to see and do which doesn't involve fighting.

We also have a very friendly discussion forum, some of which is open to non-members and I am sure you will receive a warm welcome.

More bag pudding please Mistress Anthea

Return to “1603-1715”