bourbon

Re: measuring things

Postby bourbon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm

With a Rule?

Always have a plan 'B'

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: measuring things

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:01 am

shaunt87 wrote:how did they measuring things in the 17th c i am gessing that they had a bit of rope with knots in it like a tap measure can any out shie some light on this please

I don't claim to be an expert on measuring things in the 17th century (and considering that this is based on French measurements it may not be any help to you at all) but given that the French used points, lignes, pouce, pied du roi and toises as their basic level of measuring, I get the impression they used the royal body as an basis. However, there is a very useful page from the University of Nottingham https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/researchguidance/weightsandmeasures/introduction.aspx which is all about the history of weights and measures which might be infinitely more helpful.

Could I ask your interest in 17th century measuring? The reason I ask is that as someone who is trying to become more 17th century is their general outlook any additional help would be very much appreciated.

Return to “1603-1715”