Solid hat liner/ secrete

Moderator: Moderators

The Matross

Solid hat liner/ secrete

Postby The Matross » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi all, I was recently reading an article on the use of secretes during the ECW, for those who don't know what they are, they are metal hat liners, often domes, sometimes like upside down crowns, sewn into the inside of felt hats to provide head protection to the fashion conscious. A few original examples exist, and there is some evidence to suggest they were issued en made to a few regiments. Does anyone know if anyone makes them for reenactment purposes? Failing that, does anyone know if there's any modern (say plastic) liners that would serve a similar purpose.

SteveC

Re: Solid hat liner/ secrete

Postby SteveC » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 pm

I have a friend who's had one made in the last year or so following an incident with an erratic pike.
I'll ask her and get back when I get a reply.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Adam Blockley amongst others can make them.

The Matross

Postby The Matross » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks both of you, Steve I'd be interested to know when you find out, Merlon, I'll check his site.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:39 pm

The Matross wrote:Hi all, I was recently reading an article on the use of secretes during the ECW, for those who don't know what they are, they are metal hat liners, often domes, sometimes like upside down crowns, sewn into the inside of felt hats to provide head protection to the fashion conscious. A few original examples exist, and there is some evidence to suggest they were issued en made to a few regiments. Does anyone know if anyone makes them for reenactment purposes? Failing that, does anyone know if there's any modern (say plastic) liners that would serve a similar purpose.

This is part of the reason I intend to steer well clear of any fighting that's going on and stick solely to the handicrafts section of any event!

Return to “1603-1715”