Clarification please

Moderator: Moderators

Redders

Clarification please

Postby Redders » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:24 am

I've been told that both ECWS and the SK are banning Grain/smooth finish latchets?

Can anyone 'in the know' for each society clarify/confirm/dispell please.

Many Thanks

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Clarification please

Postby John Waller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:46 am

News to me Redders. ECWS could be better starting with banning dessies and workman's boots judging by the showing at Alton the other week.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Redders

Postby Redders » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Hehe - I think both are guilty of that :)

I've heard the above from more than a couple of folk so thought it time to seek clarification.

Cheers :)

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:03 pm

They have been making things up.
The SK has dress regs but no mention of style or types of leather. If ECWS has dress regs I've never seen them and they would no doubt be different for the RA and KA. Some regts. in both SK and ECWS have their own dress regs. Some regts. have their own style of footwear that everyone has to have these are bespoke or from one supplier.
If people have been telling you that you want to ask them where they got the info. and why they are telling you.

Graham Cooley

Postby Graham Cooley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:49 pm

What Tod said.

There is no guidance from the SK about style or leather. Any specifics will be down to an individual regiment. I was at Chester at the August bank holiday and there are people who have been members for years and are not using authentic shoes. It is getting better but this still needs improving. Although the fact that authentic footwear is now as cheap as desert boots will probably help.

Graham

Redders

Postby Redders » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:47 pm

Thanks all for assisting clearing things up.

Appreciated :)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58 pm

If both societies banned things that weren't about in the period then you would have a lot of semi naked/equipped people amongst the 50% of people still there.....

:o :? :roll:

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

czartank

Postby czartank » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:07 pm

I think there are bigger problems than the type of leather used for latchets....

On les Aura

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:08 am

There is not one reproduction pair of footwear available that has leather that is exactly the same as leather used in past. Type of animal, breeds, age of animal, tanning processes, dying processes, and finishing processes are all different. I made some shoes from leather that had been in store for at least 100 years, after lots of work getting it usable it was very different to even the best modern leather. Getting re-enactors of any period into footwear that looks right is a challenge in itself. Whilst its true in most cases that the more you pay the better leather footwear you get (bespoke) none is the same as the past. Which for the common person was pretty rubbish in a large percentage of cases.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:30 am

Yep. There are so many factors to be taken into consideration, so its impossible to make sweeping statements. Items should match the situation and status. Are the shoes a regimental purchase? Was the buyer a skinflint or wanted his men to be comfortable? Are you a private citizen who is equipping himself and are you a poor drover from Cumbria or a successful Grocer from Westminster?

Undoubtedly there were very good and very bad shoes. The problem with a lot of the cheaper indian subcontinent products is the leather is just incredibly weird and has some kind of plasticised finish to them, just awful.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:29 am

You forgot the colours that can only be made with synthetics and contained within a synthetic poly over spray. The worst I have seen were shoes where the leather had started off as bright green sprayed over white sprayed leather. The shoes were black but when the owner walked through grass the over dyes came off leaving the colours underneath.
I get at least one request a year asking for vegan leather shoes because the buyer doesn't want animal hide. I don't do them because the time involved would be equal what they would sell for.
In truth even getting leather for bespoke shoes is getting more difficult.

Redders

Postby Redders » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:30 am

Tod/Griff - Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.

The original question was posed after a number of my customers had made mutterings to the point questioned.
Running a society myself, I know how difficult it can be to change bad habits.

Griff - that crappy plastic coated leather is one of my pet hates :(

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:06 pm

Yep, try oiling it!..... nasty nasty nasty.

Redders

Postby Redders » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:17 pm

You tried??!!!!!
:o

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:25 pm

vain hope. It kind of gets into the cracks of worn ones, or sits on the surface.

I blame unscrupulous ignorant traders who don't give a sh**, and idiot buyers who don't give a stuff about history and want a bit of weekend fun every now and then.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:59 pm

Wait, Vegan leather? Interesting...

Buy my book about Alchemy in Medieval and Tudor England:
http://www.newcurioshop.com/alchemy-med ... r-england/

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Cowley makes fruit leathers. Have you tried using that?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Return to “1603-1715”