Sealed Knot pages

Moderator: Moderators

mary la reine

Sealed Knot pages

Postby mary la reine » Mon May 15, 2006 7:54 pm

I am interested to know if there are any knotters who use these pages or do they just stick to their own web site. As an ex member ( hangs head in shame!!) I tried to post on their beer tent pages yesterday, but because what I had to say was not a glowing reference of their kit or authenticness it has been removed from the site and I received an e mail from the moderator to which I was unable to reply beacuse my address had been blocked.
I find it a little sad that they do not allow open discussion and stop anything that they don't like.
Has any one else had this happen and if there are knotters reading this can you explain why??? Or is it just the same old sealed knot, head in sand and don't like outsiders?

PaulMurphy

Postby PaulMurphy » Mon May 15, 2006 8:45 pm

Mary,

Most forums have moderators, and policies which they try to follow - in the case of the SK, the opening page states what they deem to be acceptable.

Perhaps you could have been more diplomatic in what you said, or how you said it, or perhaps they over-reacted. Either way, a history of helpful and non-inflammatory posts is usually a good way to ensure that you can offer constructive criticism where it is needed, rather than signing up, blasting away, and then feeling put out that the reaction wasn't what you were hoping for.

Not being a member of the SK, I can't comment on their approach or attitude, but I could comfortably predict that anyone signing up to any society-based forum and being critical in their first post would be banned as a troll in most places. Perhaps being a little more circumspect would be better?

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Paul Murphy
Tournée & The Vikings

mary la reine

Postby mary la reine » Mon May 15, 2006 11:11 pm

My posting was an answer to a pint raised by a member and defence of others who she slammed, but very diplomatically.
I was simply asking if any one had fallen victim to their censorship. Having asked others as well, it seems that I am not the only one.
It seems a shame to me that they are so unwilling to accept anything but praise of their society.
I had hoped that they were more outward looking these days - I fear I will be disapointed!!

Scraggles

Postby Scraggles » Mon May 15, 2006 11:53 pm

you get that as well ?

I had some differences of opnions with some people on this site, well one person in particular when I offered help to some other guy who was having hassles. Most of the help was via pm and so I got plenty of pm's from this other guy before my thread was locked.....

But I guess if you post stuff to a members only board and the members dont like what they see, dont be surprised that it gets locked, removed or you get suspended...

The beer tent seems to be the public face to the site and guess they dont want it, had you been a member and posted where the punters cant see, you might still have been able to read it....

mary la reine

Postby mary la reine » Tue May 16, 2006 12:07 am

I am no longer a member after 8 years of trying to be accurate and help others to do the same I gave up, saved myself £50 a year membership and joined a group that were prepared to put in the effort to achieve a high standard.
Why is the knot soooo precious about it's 'public face'? I received an e mail from their moderator telling me my posting was unsuitable and when I tried to mail him back for a more detailed reason as he staed in the mail I could, I found that he had blocked mails from me !!!!! Is it just me or is that a bit tragic.

Scraggles

Postby Scraggles » Tue May 16, 2006 9:53 am

use a different email address ? Ihave around 8-10 for various reasons, one of whihc on online games or chat rooms, I can quickly provide an email that is not in my real name but a pseudonym :twisted:

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue May 16, 2006 9:56 am

The SK public site has been a troll magnet for some time and it may be they considered your posting to be Troll like. Over the last couple of years there have been a few "people" banned from the site due to the rubbish they posted, or trying to stir things up. OK, so you might not have been doing that but they don't know that.
The bottom line is it is their site they can do what they like. I would if I was them. The public site is, public so keeping it "clean" is a good thing.

mary la reine

Postby mary la reine » Tue May 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Strangely I have just had another posting removed in which I was inquiring about some old friends in the knot who I had lost conact with, after 3 dayas of replies they removed my post because in the words of Ian Allen - it was unsuitable for the sealed Knot!!! -

The more I here and experience the more grateful I am that we found other groups and broadened our horizons, unlike so many other knot members

Sledge

Postby Sledge » Thu May 25, 2006 9:42 pm

Hi Mary

Don't tar us all with the same brush.....................I belong to more than one society, and so far have managed to go between them all quite happily.

I can sort of understand where you're coming from - but find it sad that you had your posting removed - especially if you were trying to find old friends.

Each to his own though - and what may be acceptable on one site - may not be acceptable elsewhere - just one of those things...........................

Lozza

mary la reine

Postby mary la reine » Tue May 30, 2006 11:33 pm

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, the soldier in the line is generally an alright bloke ( or girl) but the powers that be ( the inner rectum) seem to think that they are above everyone else, which is clearly untrue.
Open disscussion is a healthy thing to encourage within a society and the sealed knot needs to realise that there are other and better ways of doing things than the way they do.
We left the knot because of people like that as do 100's of others every year, if they don't learn fast there will bee no knot to prance about in!!!!!

Scraggles

Postby Scraggles » Wed May 31, 2006 7:36 am

have to admit open discussion is often good :)

you might like to contact old friends via their regimental sites directly ?

Return to “1603-1715”