Authentic Buff Gauntlets

Moderator: Moderators

Bobfrance

Authentic Buff Gauntlets

Postby Bobfrance » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 am

Hi

~Does anyone know a source for inexpensive authentic buff gauntlets for ECW please?

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Authentic Buff Gauntlets

Postby John Waller » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 am

Bobfrance wrote:Hi

~Does anyone know a source for inexpensive authentic buff gauntlets for ECW please?

The words "authentic buff" and "inexpensive" tend to be mutually exclusive. Unless your idea of inexpensive is in £ three figures then I don't think you will find any. These are nice http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/Gallery_s ... tlets.html or these http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/Gallery_gloves.html

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 am

Yep, John is absolutely correct, no such thing as inexpensive and authentic.
Karl Robinson does superb work, the gloves with red cuffs in that picture are mine. He can make exactly what you want, provided its appropriate for your rank and status

Bobfrance

Postby Bobfrance » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Thank you both for the prompt responses They look absolutely splendid.

I was thinking (and did not say in the post) I was wanted them to carry match for musket and for use with the cannon so something less elaborate (but not welders gloves)

Sorry I did not make this clear. Am tempted for more formal wear though!!

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Do you have any evidence that musketeers wore gloves? I have fought musket for twenty five years and never needed gloves.
Buff gloves are items of armour, not utility wear for matrosses. You could pick a suitable pair of Gloves from the likes of two Js at TORM this weekend.

Dathi

Postby Dathi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Gloves and muskets is very bad drills. There is no need whatseover to wear gloves whilst armed with a musket other than bad drills and a deluded idea of whats safe. NOT being able to feel where the scouring stick is and fumbling around trying to open and close powder flasks and bottles is more dangerous than the risk of buring your hands.

(Guess who's in a bad mood this morning)

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Dathi wrote:Gloves and muskets is very bad drills. There is no need whatseover to wear gloves whilst armed with a musket other than bad drills and a deluded idea of whats safe. NOT being able to feel where the scouring stick is and fumbling around trying to open and close powder flasks and bottles is more dangerous than the risk of buring your hands.

(Guess who's in a bad mood this morning)

Indeed. The worst example I can think of is when I took part in an SK event near Oxford some years ago. The guy next to me wore gauntlets. His loading 'drill' involved him holding his musket between his knees whilst removing one gauntlet with his teeth so he could find a cartridge in a bag. Load, replace glove, then touch fire, ignoring the perfectly good serpent on his gun. He was truly shockingly bad. Presumably he had passed their musket test (which strangely seems to not involve actually firing a gun!)? The only use I can think of for gauntlets in a musketeer context is for the SK person who collects and holds a unit's match when they go off to play hand-to-hand. (A most strange arrangement :roll: )

Most gun captains I know insist on them.

Seconded 2J's for reasonable not-buff gauntlets or any of the ACW sutlers.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Bobfrance

Postby Bobfrance » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm

It is for gun crew primarily but also for carrying match

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Sk musket tests are fairly thorough they just have no follow up to it so people can slip into bad habits and it doesn't get pointed untill something goes wrong.

Buff in general is a bit of a sore spot with most if not all living history people who re enact ECW they al seem to have accepted buff coats exist but then its all oh good heavens your not cavalry you can't wear one, oh my this one isn't tunnel stiched (which i agree with all the examples people have ever shown are tunnel stiched) oh my giddy aunt that one has cloth sleeves/ no sleeves. so i think that they have all agreed to disagree because its more fun that way

but anyway, in terms of sk authenticity from what I have seen of my regiment all the gloves are those yellow leather gardening gloves with the fingers all cut short so you can actually feel what's going on and are there more for the limited protection they provide from being bashed on the fingers with someone elses gun in close quarters

if you want really authentic ones go to the people posted above and try and get a pair as thin and skin tight as you can so you loose the minimum of feeling but it will minimise match burns ect.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm

This is some where else on here. I wear gloves and always have, purely because I use a sword as well. If I don't use my sword I don't wear gloves. The gloves I use are mig welding gloved they are tight and thin, I cut off the fingers and thumb off my right glove so I feel my cartridge, powder horn, ram rod etc. The gloves are now black worn and need replacing but rather that than blisters etc from my sword. No doubt if I used my swird more I'd get less blisters and wouldn't need them.

Return to “1603-1715”